Shearwater vs Hollis DG-05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigd2722

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How does a Shearwater Predator compare to a Hollis DG05? Personally, I found the Hollis to be way too complicated.

Dive Nav has an on line class. But before even taking it I was accessing amd using most of the predators functions with about 15 minutes of instruction. The manual is simple and clearly written. The whole thing is so intuitive it's hard to imagine having another type of dive computer.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

There is not much to compare. The shearwater is much more user friendly. Oh yeah, all the kewl kids have shearwaters!!!

The Shearwaters also come with standard Buhlmann GF and the ability to add VPM.

Shearwater does not have the BS transmitters. Just something else to break.
I love Hollis gear but I bought a petrel because all the kool kids have them.

Shearwater have been my computers of choice for a while now. I own a Predator and a Petrel. I prefer the screen on the Predator but the Petrel is really great too.
Very intuitive, no need to read the manual (much!), very readable even in Balinese sunshine, does GF and VPM (for an extra 75$ bucks unfortunately), Constant PPO2, very nice info like GF99 too...
The only other computer I'd consider is the Heinrich Weikamp OSTC2N... but not sure Open Source is that great when it comes to safety equipment!
The Holis, which is really a British computer from VR and has been on the market for 2 years, is very complicated to use IMO. I just don't understand its logic!

They don't compare. Just buy the Shearwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom