Oceanic Bud - good backup for Uwatec Aladin Prime?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gypsyinabigtown

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
G'day all,

I'm off to a 2-week long liveaboard trip for Christmas and want to get myself a backup dive computer beforehand.
I currently have a UWatec Aladin Prime - working allright but once had battery die in the water so I want to avoid that on a 2-week liveaboard if I can.

I've looked into Oceanic Bud, costs about ~$200. It looks like it will get the job done, but the comments I read are all about how the algorithms for the main and backup computer must be same.
Aladin Prime uses Buhlmann ZH-L8 ADT while Oceanic Bud uses Pelagic Z+.
Oceanic's marketing materials (Oceanic BUD Computer - Oceanic Scuba Diving & Snorkelling Equipment & Scuba Dive Gear# ) claim that its algorithm closely mimics all other computers, including UWatec's algorithm, but I'm sceptical.

What does everyone think? Does the B.U.D. make an okay backup dive computer for UWatec Aladin Prime?
Note that I am a purely recreational diver, who rarely dives below 30-35 meters and generally tries to keep within conservative levels.

Thanks in advance for all responses!

It’s possible that even a slight depth calibration variance between two computers of the same make and model may result in inconsistencies depending on the profile. The Pelagic Z+ algorithm is based on Buhlmann ZHL-16C and while not an exact match, should be consistent with the Uwatec.

It's a great backup device! Hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom