Frog Wing - 10 months / 70 dives - Inflator Seizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

delta-v

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Purchased the Frog Midnight last October (2011) (for twinset / 50lb lift). Paid around $275 for it, after discount etc.

Didn't start using it until this Feb (2012). This w/end, the inflator seized up... yes, on the dive boat... during the buddy check... with a student... quite embarassing : )

From Feb to Dec, logged about 70+ dives on this wing - all salt water. Fanatical about post-dive care so the wing had several rinses and an overnight soak each time.

So, 10 months and 70 dives... and the inflator seizes. Frog quality???

D/A this morning, hardly any corrosion or mineral deposits (but then didn't expect to find any given the post-dive regimen). Inner spool o-ring sticking to inside of assembly. Not sure why.

Mild detergent/hot water soak with agitation. Everything shiny and clean, but o-ring still sticking.

• Expert opinion divided on whether inner spool o-rings should be lubricated or not....???

• Also, re-thinking post-dive care... perhaps excessive rinsing stripped the lubrication off the inner spool o-rings...???

• Also, thinking to stay away from Frog gear in the future...???

Any comments/suggestions : )

I have always lubricated my inflator o rings with a bit of christo-lube. Why not just add a small smear to the o rings and see what happens. I find that with a bit of lube, salt encrustation is reduced.

Didn't start using it until this Feb (2012). This w/end, the inflator seized up... yes, on the dive boat... during the buddy check... with a student... quite embarassing : )

From Feb to Dec, logged about 70+ dives on this wing - all salt water. Fanatical about post-dive care so the wing had several rinses and an overnight soak each time.

So, 10 months and 70 dives... and the inflator seizes. Frog quality???

It's astonishingly unlikely that they actually manufacture the inflator.

In any case, they're throw-away items unless you have a burning desire to DIY.

Keep it clean and if it fails, throw it out and get a new one. While possible to service, it's a $40 item so taking it somewhere for service isn't really practical.

flots.

Back
Top Bottom