Dive at USC Wrigley Institute for Environmental Studies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Heartfelt thanks to Craig Hoover and Gary from WIES for obtaining permission for us to dive in quest of the truly rare Felimare (Hypselodoris) californiensis. As Phil reported, Kevin's dreams came true when Gary found a nice-sized specimen. There was apparently some excitement when the nudi was lost, but Kevin spotted it again.

Lagoon-like conditions at Big Fisherman's Cove, Catalina Isl. Kevin, Gary, and Craig wait for us to jump. Two hours of fun in 20 fsw - my longest dive ever.

First time I'd seen leopard sharks, Triakis semifasciata, and I believe someone counted at least 30 congregating in the shallows.

Juvi garibaldi, Hypsypops rubicundus.

The vivid Felimare (Hypselodoris) californiensis.

Navanax inermis

Possibly a pink abalone, Haliotis corrugata, only 1/2". Kevin gets credit for finding the little fella.

Beautiful photos. Seeing 30 leopard sharks would be a really incredible experience. I still haven't been lucky enough to see one yet.

Ha, Merry... you guys could have come to the dive park with me or Ruth Harris and seen a number of Hypies (hmmm... Felis now?). Got tired of filming the beautiful nudies the past few years. Tee hee. Glad you helped make Kevin's dream come true.

Cool on the young ab. Almost looks like a white, but I wouldn't expect one to be in shallow water (and there aren't many around to reproduce these days) so pink sounds right.

I have never seen so many leopard sharks at the same place. I'd seen a couple at Malaga Cove a few years back.

Also, the shot on the abalone is awesome!!! I didn't even know those darn things have eyes!!!

Great pictures, I love the Abalone shot. We tend to only see Red (Tons) and a lot of Pinto abalone up here.

My wife and I have only spotted one Leopard Shark on a dive so far. We were in Carmel Bay when a Leopard swam across our path when a large Harbor Seal bolted down from the surface and nipped at the sharks back! It was one of those dives you don't forget.

Cheers

I don't know about harbor seals, but a bull sea lion decimated the leopard shark population at the USC Lab a few years ago... reportedly munching on them like they were corn on the cob.