Cheapest Diving between Monterey and San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neverland

Registered
Reaction score
Dear All,
Me and my partner are visiting California this December-January. We are beginner scuba divers. We would like to dive (we need full equipment and a divemaster as well). I was searching and wrirting e-mails to lots of diving comapines but compared to the europien standard the prices were extremely high.
Do you know any company with low pricing between Monterey and San Diego?
Many tks for your reply

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a look at the dive shops I know in Monterey, and it appears that full gear rental and a DM for two dives for two people will run each diver about $150 a day. I don't think you are going to do a whole lot better than that. I know our shop here in Seattle charges $60 for rental of a BC and regulator, and more for exposure protection, and two dives with a guide will run you $100.

I know a lot of resort boats put a guide in the water for no extra charge, but along the Pacific Coast, guides are not customarily provided, and they are an extra charge.

This is a great info. I saw places before over 200$ per person.
We also wanted to dive by Channel Island but on Pacific coast as you said there are no guides there was no guide at all for this tour from Ventura St Barbara:s

I am quite sure that if you want to arrange a DM to dive with you on a Channel Islands trip, you can do so. The charter boat outfit may be able to put you in touch with someone, or the other thing I'd recommend is to post in the SoCal section of ScubaBoard and ask the local folks what the best way to arrange a guide would be.

Hmm...this thread IS in the SoCal section, so either it was moved, or started here. :)

If you will be here the whole month, you have several options, including making some friends here who might be your guide for boat or beach diving for the cost of a meal or some beer.

California is a big place, so narrowing down where you will be staying and when can be helpful to folks replying.

There are many great dive shops around LA...It seems that most offer the same pricing for rental gear.
I would like to recommend my LDS: ECO Dive Center.
They will beat any price no matter what, as long as you go and talk with them in person.
Also, they work with many of the Dive Boats from Ventura to Newport Beach so ask about any specials they have going on.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

If you're going to be in north San Diego, LaJolla Cove is an excellent shore dive. It's so busy that finding parking is a problem most of the day - there will be dozens of divers there - often even mid-week so I'm sure someone would be willing to show you the area.

LaJolla Shores nearby is another option - it's easy diving, they teach a lot of classes there. There's a submarine canyon a short distance offshore that goes beyond rec. depths so that often brings in bigger pelagics. I did my 5-6th dives in that area with just a buddy a few months after certification decades ago.

You might contact OEX and see what they suggest. OEX Dive & Kayak La Jolla | Cove & Cave Experts Since 1995

Here's a pretty complete list of dive boats in the area. Most will not put a DM in the water unless you make arrangements in advance. http://californiadiveboats.com/

Last edited:
Alas, the cost is expensive. It's California and the cost to do business in California is expensive for both the customers and the businesses.

You have to rent equipment and then go diving. Shore diving is no charge, but it could be very tough on new divers (fighting waves and carrying heavy equipment for long distances). Boat diving is fun and less work but will cost more.

You can expect full equipment rental to be around $75/person.

Boat diving is between $105 to $140 depending on which boat and the amenities.

If you want service of a divemaster/dive guide then that would be probably $200.

Once you know where you're going to be and when, you can probably find some buddies to go out with you for maybe the cost of lunch and/or beer, so the major cost would be gear rental. If you're in San Diego, Power Scuba has a lot of events that cater to relatively new, inexperienced divers. Various dive shops and clubs also have no cost fun dives at various times. When my local dive shop has free fun dives, they include free tanks/weights and half price equipment rentals

If cheap is a priority think ScubaBoard + shore diving

You can find buddies with local knowledge by posting in the appropriate section: norcal, socal, etc.

Rent your gear at the LDS recommended by said buddies.

Also check the LDS web sites for fun dives---they'll buddy you up, brief you on the site & you're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom