Portugal or Canary Islands around Christmas/New Year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

christoph1

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone,
I will be free for 2 weeks and need to get wet:wink:

has anyone been diving in Portugal (mainland) around Christmas and knows of operating Dive Shops?
Could you advice shops that are open on the Canary's ?
Thanks,
Chris

In the Canaries the winter is as main season as the summer so you'll find easily operating dive shops in Dec/Jan. Just to mention a few:
Fuerteventura: http://www.divecentercorralejo.com/
Gran Canaria: PADI Scuba Diving Centre Dive Academy Gran Canaria Diving School in Arguineguin Puerto Rico Maspalomas Playa Del Ingles Gran Canaria Boat and Shore Diving Canary Island Dive Courses Dive Holidays
Tenerife: Tauchen auf Teneriffa | Diving Center Barakuda Club Tenerife | Heinz Scheffler | Kanaren
Lanzarote: Lanzarote Tauchen bucear diving Bahianus Club - Home

In my opinion Gran Canaria offers wide range of dives and I especially like the service of Dive Academy. If you haven't been to the Canaries yet maybe will find useful my article: The Eastern Canary Islands

We are based in Tenerife and are open and diving all over the Christmas Period.

Tenerife has a lot of life and different types of life to see, it is also Angel Shark Season and so are likely to find these on the dives. We also have Turtles, sting Rays, Wrecks and swim throughs.

Check us out. :)

Where in mainland Portugal? Some around Peniche and Sesimbra will be open. There are even often new year dives.

anthia diving center mergulho portugal sesimbra lisboa scuba buceo
Haliotis - Centro, Escola e Loja de Mergulho - Berlengas Peniche, Sesimbra, Santa Maria Aores e Madeira - dive Portugal

And I have never checked but I assume some dive centers in the Algarve are also working. Actually, this is a really nice time to get down to Algarve if you like wrecks as two decommissioned navy vessels have been sunken. Check Home - Ocean Revival

thanks everyone for the suggestions! i have been to the Berlengas and loved it even though we did not went sub zero back than :wink:
will give all your ideas a thought!
and cheers to Redshift for the link to the sunken vessels. an amazing project from many perspectives!!!

you can wetsuit the canaries in winter.

its a drysuit job in portugal if you get good weather.

I strongly reccommend South Tenerife
There are some great wrecks (El Condesito eg0 and a wole load of biiig sea life and critturs alike

Dive with Tenerife Dive ..professional and bespoke diving. Great management and well located in Las galletas with Pickups from Las Americas and Los Cristianos

Weather is fantastic this time of year (just back) and you WILL see .giant Atlantic Ray, Turles, dolphin, gruper, shoals of roncadores, trumpet fish ....

I know this comes a little late. I did my OW course in Gran Canaria with the Davy Jones dive center in mid-December, wearing a 5mm wetsuit, no hood, no gloves(20-21C water and air temp). They dive Playa el Cabrón (consists of 6-8 dive sites) which might be sometimes a bit busy (=full of divers). Nice sea life, lots of smaller fish, rays angelsharks (I saw two of them during my certification dives).

Tenerife must be interesting as well, and there are plenty other things to do, e.g visit the Teide (of course, not right after diving...).

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom