Software for Galileo Luna and Mac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmcn

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, but it seems like the most appropriate.

I'm looking for software for my Mac letting me import data from my Galileo Luna. I've been using the default software, SmartTRAK, in a virtual Windows installation and this works fine, but I see all sorts of cool software for OS X (MacDive, for example) and I want that! :)

It's okay if the software works on the data file from SmartTRAK forcing me to import in Windows. I understand that the Luna uses an obscure infrared hack while importing making it virtually impossible to import in OS X. Workarounds are welcome as long as the OS X software lets me see my dives and dive data from the Luna.

Dive log DT, it works great. I think I paid $19.99

---------- Post added December 12th, 2012 at 06:39 AM ----------

Search for it in google!!!

I've actually looked into Dive Log DT but haven't been using it since it needs the original IRDA-cable to work. On Windows I've been using a random 15$ IRDA-cable for importing.

When importing to DLDT do you get the same data as you get in SmartTRAK? Can you perhaps send a screenshot of a dive imported in DLDT? If it works well it might be worth the price of the cable. :)

Dive Log Manager supports this computer for downloads using the original IrDA adapter or one with a compatible chipset- they say you can contact them for information and to find out if your adapter will work.

Very nice folks, and excellent software. You can download as a free trial.

Ron

Dive Log Manager

I've arranged with my local dive shop that I'll buy the original IrDA adapter and then I'll give Dive Log Manager a run. Thanks a lot for your input!

This software looks pretty cool. Can anyone comment on the stability of the company who produces it?

Reason I ask is that I bought DiveBuddy Pro for my iPad a couple years ago. I've got A LOT of data in that app but it seems that the developer has dropped off the face of the earth. There's no support, no updates, nothing... The last post from them on their website was from 2010. My data is locked up in their system and they're not updating (or fixing bugs) in their app...

I want to make sure that if I invest (time more than money) into another app that I won't run into the same issue.

The people behind Dive Log Manager are a couple of long time Apple developers and divers, and seem very committed to the product. No software product is going to last forever, but they've made a solid commitment and have been putting out upgrades and improvements, and the ecosystem of iOS apps should make for a viable business model, long term. Also, as I understand it, the ability to interchange data means you information is not so much locked up in a proprietary format.

Ron

im using J-trak 1.2.5 on my 2011 MBP just fine, download dives via IRDA. no virtual, straight up mac. have you tried this?

In installed LogTRAK and the required Java Runtime Environment. When I start LogTRACK I get loads of errors and it will not run.

I will look for J-track. Did you have to install anything to make the IRDA work?

---------- Post added February 27th, 2013 at 09:42 PM ----------

Thanks Ron, good to know! I understand that no software will last forever, but solid commitment and an open data format makes me feel a lot better about using it. It's the data that's most important - if that's exportable in a known, industry supported format then the issues are mitigated.

Daryl

I've arranged with my local dive shop that I'll buy the original IrDA adapter and then I'll give Dive Log Manager a run. Thanks a lot for your input!

Sorry that I didn't see your post sooner. We do only *support* the USB dongle from ScubaPro, but other ones are known to work.

Since we provide the device driver *inside* the application, (it's not provided by Windows or MacOS or installed separately like other logbook applications), we have to know exactly what hardware we're talking to. And since there is so much variation in the quality of the manufacturing of these, and we can't get our hands on each of them to test with, we simply can't *support* them all. But if you try out the one that you have, and it doesn't work with Dive Log Manager, we are happy to refund your money for the app if you purchase it thru our website. (If you purchase it from Apple, you have to ask Apple for your money back and we can't help with that.)

Janice
More Mobile Software

---------- Post added March 2nd, 2013 at 04:02 PM ----------

In installed LogTRAK and the required Java Runtime Environment. When I start LogTRACK I get loads of errors and it will not run.

I will look for J-track. Did you have to install anything to make the IRDA work?

---------- Post added February 27th, 2013 at 09:42 PM ----------

Thanks Ron, good to know! I understand that no software will last forever, but solid commitment and an open data format makes me feel a lot better about using it. It's the data that's most important - if that's exportable in a known, industry supported format then the issues are mitigated.

Daryl

1) FYI - Last time I checked, ScubaPro is no longer distributing or supporting JTrak. The new version is called (ScubaPro) LogTrak and I've heard that it only supports the new Meridian - none of the legacy dive computers like the Galileo ...

2) We've all got data stuck in some logbook format from days gone by - locked up and kept as a trade secret! It's a pain. Ron's certainly right that no software lasts forever, however it seems reasonable to want to be able to get access to your data. We use the same logbook format on the 3 different platforms - MacOS, Windows, and iOS. And it uses an "open" database format called sqlite. So, if you want to move all your data from our logbook format to some new wiz bang neato application that slices and dices, it is easy for someone slightly technical (not an end user) to figure out how to read all the data out and put it in their new format. And we all document this format too, although it's pretty obvious even without the documentation.

Janice
More Mobile Software

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom