Ocean Sapphire Live-a-board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peeweediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Back from the Maldives and thought I'd post a short trip report. I begin by stating that this was my first trip out of the Caribbean, so that does color my experience. First, it's a long flight from Chicago and I can't believe that at 2 am at Dubai Airport hundreds of people are shopping in that Mall pretending to be an airport. upon arrival we were met by folks from the boat and taking straight away to the boat. The Ocean Sapphire is sort of a "sister" boat to the Maldives Princess and the Ark Royal. Not your typical Aggressor boat, but you do pay for it. Big cabin with a really big bathroom. The dining area also had couches and chairs so all of us could hang out there between dives. Great food and really good, hardworking staff. Language was a bit of an issue, but we didn't speak Maldivian and that's on us.
The dive guides were good guys who knew the sites. They weren't "show you" guides but you can't have everything. On one dive, on the way back to the big boat from the dive "Dhoni", we ran into Mantas and snorkeled with them. My wife was out for that day due to ear problems and when we got back, they gladly put her in the little motor boat and took her to the manta site and she got to snorkel with them too. Very nice touch.
All in all, I could not have been more comfortable on the boat and with the 10 days we spent with the crew.
the diving: what can i say, it certainly was a huge step up for us in terms of quantity, quality, and diversity. Huge schools a fish. Every dive had fish I had never seen before. One of our group brought a great book on fish of the Indian Ocean and we all spent time after each dive trying to figure out what we just saw. visibility was not great, ranging from 30 to maybe 70 feet, but whatever you wanted to see, you could see. The first morning dive every day was magical. Viz was best then and the sun angle seemed perfect. We hit the dive boat each day at 6:30 and were in the water by 7. Three dives a day with a fourth night dive on 3 days.
I am amazed at how much more to the Ocean there is after this trip. I've seen pictures, but you really have to be in a huge school of fish or looking at new things every dive to really appreciate it.
Next stop, the Socorro Islands in February. Then, the Philippines in 2014. might as well spread our wings now while we still can.

A few pics to share.

Rob

IMG_0948.jpgIMG_0385.jpgIMG_0426.jpgIMG_0581.jpgIMG_0681.jpg

Good to hear- thanks for taking the time to report. For sure the Maldives is a looooong way to come from the States.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom