Oceanic Atom 3.0 or Oceanic OC1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quadcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys I am looking into upgrading my dive computer. I currently use a Suunto Zoop and it has been a great first computer, but it is time to upgrade. I am pretty certain I want a wrist mount, and definitely one that isn't so conservative like the Zoop. While I am open to any suggestions two that I found are the Oceanic Atom 3.0 and the Oceanic OC1. The OC1 has a titanium housing which is nice but doesn't justify the $300 increase in price. Other than that I really don't know what the difference is in the two and was hoping someone could tell me. I like the look of the OC1 better but unless there are specific features it has over the Atom 3.0 it isn't worth it in my opinion.

They are both air integrated and here are the prices for each including a transmitter: Atom 3.0 - $1000, OC1 - $1300.

Thanks in advance for any input!

DJ

....... Oceanic Atom 3.0 and the Oceanic OC1. .....
You can see both of them in action in our video tutorials, or, even better, take them for a virtual dive with our scuba diving simulator.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

The main difference between these two computers is the ease of use of the OC1 since it operates on a dot matrix display. Therefore it will be more like a cell phone style menu. The OC1 also has a digital compass, while the atom does not. The advantage to the atom 3 is that it’s a lot easier to change the battery.

Hope this helps!

I wouldn't buy the OC1 for the compass for sure. I actually have an OC1 and like it a lot, but not for the compass, which I actually never use. One thing I like (maybe not worth 300 bucks) is that it is the size of a watch and I wear it as one when I do dive trips. For some, the size might be a negative, but I find I can read it just fine. You really can't go wrong with either one.

Those prices you quote seem way too high. I paid $650 for my Atom 3.0 (including transmitter). If you call Leisure Pro and ask them what the lowest price they can offer, it is usually much lower than advertised on the website. It was $950 I believe on the website, but I was able to order it for $650 over the phone. They are an authorized dealer for Oceanic, as I understand it, so no worries there. Whichever you decide, I'm betting you could get a lower price with a phone call.

I am in the middle of the exact same decision as quadcrazy. I also have a Zoop and am looking for a watch style, air integrated computer with greater choices on how conservative it is. This lead me to the Oceanic Atom and OC1. As silly as it sounds, the menue's and screen of the OC1 just seem easier to read and work with. The OC1 is rather expensive, and while I like all it's features, i am a bit unsure as to whether it is worth it. How happy people are with the Atom 3.0/3.1?

If you are looking for a watch style computer, go for the OC1. Not only looks like a quality watch (which it is), but also has a titanium body. The Atom´s body, instead, is made of a plastic compound. If you shop around you can get it for under $ 1,000 without the transmitter (which you can always get later).

Thanks for the advice. Found an old stock but new OC1 from a dive shop on eBay with PCM cable and transmitter for less than$1000. Can't wait to get it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom