Sidemount stage tank rigging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've never been completely satisfied with the way stage tanks ride when top mounted in sidemount. While they might start out looking okay, they usually end up looking like this by the end of the dive.

SMstage3.jpg

I've tried a number of different things. I've moved the rigging around. I've looked at what others are doing. The end result is the same. I have yet to see a top mounted stage tank in sidemount that rides flat throughout the entire dive. This just isn't acceptable to me, especially in a cave.

So I've been developing a new way to secure a stage tank in sidemount so it does not float up at the bottom. This new stage tank rigging makes it so the tank never changes position regardless of how much gas it has in it. Whether it's full or empty, it stays trimmed out just like you see in the photos.

SMstage2.jpg

SMstage1.jpg

Yes, the sidemount tank is sitting a little low, but that's because the stage tank is pushing it down. With the 2 tanks it doesn't really matter where the tanks sit as along as the top one doesn't sit below the line of your back (the photographer was slightly shallower than me for both photos so it appears as if the top tank is riding too low but it is actually pretty close to even with my back) and the bottom one doesn't sit above the line of your chest/abdomen. When the stage tank is removed the sidemount tank returns to a trimmed position as you see the right tank in the 2nd photo is. With this configuration I've been able to get through some sidemount restrictions without even having to remove the stage tank. Given that AL tanks are 7 inches in diameter this makes the clearance I need just over 14 inches. If the restriction is smaller, removing the stage tank isn't an issue.

I will be posting more photos with steel tanks as the sidemount tanks soon. I will also post more photos and some details on exactly how I am rigging my stage tanks now so they stay like this throughout the entire dive.

Nice. I am interested to see how you did this.

Looks great Rob!

Wow, I thought he updated this thread.

Teller, I don't know how he rigs his deco bottles, but I know he does not top mount them.

Wow, I thought he updated this thread.

Teller, I don't know how he rigs his deco bottles, but I know he does not top mount them.

Yes, I did update this and even made a few posts since then. But the aliens apparently did come down for the Mayans on the 21st. They got their coordinates wrong... :wink:

Anyway, here's a link to my article again: Sidemount Stage Rigging « Rob Neto

I think I added something here or another board about how inexpensive this is - 2 clips, a worm gear clamp, and some bungee. All can be bought for less than $20.

As for deco cylinders, no I do not top mount them. Deco cylinders need to be confirmed before breathing off of them. I haven't puked pea soup cuz I don't eat it (Amityville Horror reference) and I'm just not that flexible.

I verify my stage cylinders before top mounting them and start breathing them then. Usually my stage cylinders have the same gas as my sidemount cylinders anyway. But a deco cylinder has a different gas usually with a shallower MOD. This requires verification by tracing the hose back to the cylinder and confirming the MOD markings on the bottle. Not something I can do with it behind me and I really don't feel like unclipping and reclipping when I can more easily mount a small AL40 in front of me without it being an issue. What I do in open water where I do not drop my deco cylinder(s) is use a 2nd bungee loop to pull the deco cylinder in closer to me so it stays streamlined during the dive.

That article (like all your articles) is really useful, but it seems like it kind of needs the main/first/whatever tank to be pretty rock solid.

Or does it work out that it actually acts to stabilize the main tank?

I guess part of the reason I am asking is because I routinely run through a number of tanks, and it seems like I can get them stable independently, or stable stacked, but I cannot get both to happen.

(In this example stable means 'not butt floaty', since I am using all standard 80's.

Back
Top Bottom