Any have info about the Wildcat airplane raised from Lake Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoneCrusher

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
EAA News - Enthusiasts Invited to See Rescued FM-2 Wildcat

Anyone have any info on this news article?

Pretty interesting that the money would be spent to raise this plane. Sounds like a very large undertaking. Based on the comments about restoring it, I wonder if it was worth it as much of the plane will be rebuild with newly manufactured parts. To me I would have loved for it to stay underwater and be a diving location.

AT&T Salvage funded the project. They found the fighter in 2006 or 08 with the help of Paul Ehorn. They spent many dives cleaning it off and securing rigging and other things to the craft. She was in 2 major pieces to begin with. The aircraft was raised and towed a considerable distance underwater to where she was to be raised. The project is one of those it will cost far more to restore her than what her value is. In the end it will be donated to a museum and then it's fate is unknown. They should have left it on the bottom in my opinion. My understanding for her raising is that it was a very rare aircraft type and was historically significant in the Battle Of Midway. I hope this clears things up. We found a WWI fighter on the bottom off of Tawas and was in pretty rough shape.
Jared

The Admiral Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg Texas has another Lake Michigan Wildcat. It is my understanding that a lot of carrier pilot training was conducted near Chicago.

The National Museum of the Pacific War

I agree Mike. They have pulled at least 40 planes out of the lake. How many do they need in order to satisfy themselves? Even if they are rare, things have been known to happen to antiques that have been salvaged out of the lake when they should have been left there. Oh well I have to fighter jets that need to be located off of Alpena.

Back
Top Bottom