Black Sand Dive Resort/Lembeh Nov.2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warmwater Wank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just a short but very positive review of our stay at Black Sand Dive Resort on Lembeh strait. We were there for only 5 nights (Nov.20-25) but had a most enjoyable stay. It was our second time in Lembeh and if anything, more critterful than when we were there March, 2012.

We over-nighted in Manado after a 2 wk Raja Ampat lob. (Stayed at the Novotel, a great $50. bargain!) It was a positive sign that our driver Stefan was 10 minutes early the next morning. Hassle free check in at the resort by Roustan got us feeling at home right off the bat. There are only 6 bungalows on the well tended grounds. It is not a big, bustling place and it is kept up beautifully. We were in #3 bungalow, up the hill from the dive op. It was a quiet, comfortable and enjoyable room on the hillside w/ a deck overlooking the water and jungle. We had more than adequate A/C and a superb Balinese style open shower area in the bathroom. (All the bungalows are similar as far as I know.)

Meals were in a common-area building close to the rooms. Very open and bug-free (still, use some repellent), clean, nicely appointed. Meals were pre-ordered from a menu each day, 3 choices for main meals. When you sat down things were brought out as you were ready. There's no need to ask, they will know who you are at the first meal Really nice presentation and variety to the meals, filling without overdoing it. Their soups were practically a signature course, not an after-thought (and I'm not one to comment on soups).

Diving was Lembeh! Compared to our March diving, the water was a bit cooler (82-84F in Mar., 80-82F in Nov.) and viz was better this time. Not sure if that correlates but it did seem like we saw more activity and certainly could see more of the surroundings. Had one afternoon of about as hard a rain as I've seen in the tropics and next day viz was just fine even shore. A partial critter list included: various pipefish, 7-8 frogfish, Tiger shrimp, many Mantis shrimp, Pygmys, nudis, crabs etc.

Black Sand uses 3 speedboats that take a max of 4 divers plus a dive guide. The last 2 days that we dove the other couple diving w/ us left and no one had yet had checked into that bungalow. Rather than combine us w/ another boat we stayed w/ our dive guide (Hengki, a great one!) and had a boat to ourselves. Dive times were 8am, 11am 2:30 and guided night dive as arranged (or house reef on your own, anytime--and Hairball is a great house reef to have!). The camera room was adequate, plenty of counter space for all. Dive ops ran smooth, we got out on time, dove until the spg said time to quit, came in quickly. (Breaks up the day more it seemed, having longer surface intervals ashore.) We had five days of most excellent diving and of course the dive ops are always a make it or break it factor.

I was surprised how much our total topside experience added to our sense of this being a more relaxing yet intense dive experience. The diving was really good Lembeh diving (lucky us!) but the accommodations and how we were treated put this one over the top. A great place, highly recommended. What a treat, thanks Bruce & Fung! // ww

Black Sand room.jpgDining area.jpgornate ghostie g.jpgTiger shrimp pair.jpgcrab unk.jpgnudi swagger.jpgBlack Sand dive operation.jpg

thanks for the review...have thought about Black Sand several times but for some reason didn't stay there. can't beat that their house reef is TK3! +1 on the Novotel, where I always stay in Manado. Nice, new and affordable. Back when they opened rates were even as low as $30!

Where did you dive on your first trip? Thanks for the report, Lembehs great for the cruisey dives black sand mucky goodness.

Good to hear others had the same experience with this resort as I did. Would recommend it as well.

Stayed at NAD in March, that was great too. I think we'll have to split time between the two places on our next trip. November seemed like a better time of year though than March. Not very scientific reasoning but we saw more stuff and had nicer weather. I'd be curious to hear what long time Lembeh lovers say about the "best" time of year there. I know it is year round diveable but I'm sure there are preferences. // ww

Good to hear that you had such a great time in Lembeh! Living here it is great all year - i would say the hottest months this year have been September-December some of the best diving I remember!

Is the general consensus that there is more to see in sept-dec? I have 2.5 weeks booked off in may and am looking at lembeh again to test my new camera gear but not if the critter variation or volume is signif less? Any thoughts?

Well, not that I have much to go on but critter "volume" is relative I think. A slow period in Lembeh, if such exists, is still going to be offering a lot compared to other places or other times of the year! I saw plenty of things in March and those 2 weeks were not slow, just that November seemed some how even more engaging. I wouldn't worry about having enough things to test your new camera gear on! // ww

I've been there in October and April and I thought October was definitely more "crittery". In April we only saw 2 octi's (both coconuts octi's) but in Oct we saw one on almost every diving, including the Motiti.
BUT P83 as www says regardless when you go you will be blown away. It is just a brilliant brilliant place to go diving.
Come to think of it in April we saw more types of nudi's..... so JUST GO!!! :acclaim:

When I went in early December it was a critter fest, didn't tick everything off but saw a lot. Don't wanna go in may and be told well this time of year much less October, less frogfish etc etc.... That's all. But I loved it so much I may just go ad see what a different time of yr offers! Mototi, wonderpus, hairy octo all on the list still!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom