Seeing lots of Fried Egg Jelly's lately.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muzikbiz22

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Anyone else ??? Seemed to be quite a few of them last 2 weeks.

HoeDive_3.jpg

Hypselodorisdive15.jpg

I saw a couple of small ones at Catalina two weeks ago, but haven't seen them this year along the coast. Last year was pretty good around Palos Verdes.

My sightings were at Catalina too, as was that pic. Seem to be quite a few of them.

Quick hijack as there are a bunch up north as well. Does anyone know if they sting like nettles? Wikipedia says their stings are "extremely weak" but as with all things, I suspect it's relative.

Quick hijack as there are a bunch up north as well. Does anyone know if they sting like nettles? Wikipedia says their stings are "extremely weak" but as with all things, I suspect it's relative.

Funny you mention, as there was a diver that got stung the day I took the above photo, BUT, was a real mild sting. Discomfort, but not pain reportedly.

Good to know, thanks. I've been nearly blindsided by them a few times. Their tentacles are really transparent and wispy, and about a mile long. Sometimes I don't even see them unless the light hits them just right.

I've been stung by them while getting up close and personal to film. Not too bad. I noticed a few kelp bass that seemed to like spicy snacks as they ate portions of the tentacles.

Of course by the time I see them they are often scrambled rather than fried... the result of encounters with boat propellers or the myriad species of fish that seem to like to snack on them.

Back
Top Bottom