Inflator on RHS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ferris213

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently had surgery on my left should and am planning my eventual return to diving. I've lost a fair bit of mobility and have trouble specifically with lifting my arm over my head.

For this reason I'm looking for opinions on swapping my inflator hose to the right hand side. I use a DSS wing which has the inflator fitting in the center, and a 5 foot primary with 24 inch bungeed secondary.

My thinking is swap the bungeed second to the left hand side, swap the inflator to the right and leave the longhose as is (wrapped from under right armpit and around the back of my neck)

Has anyone tried this or seen it done? Are the any foreseeable problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Switching gear configurations is done for adaptive diving needs. But before swapping things around I would suggest that you first get in the pool with your gear on and see if the lack of mobility is truly an issue. For instance, the only time my arm is over my head is when dealing with valves. That is to say to let air out of my wing I simply put the inflator slightly above the wing. It requires very little movement of my arm. Sometimes I might have to adjust my position the water a bit so the wing is not on horizontal plane so the air moves up. Also many people forget that there is a second dump valve on the bottom of their wing. I used it on regular basis as well when under the water.

All that a side most second stages with a tradition exhaust T are really made to come in only from the right. That is unless you like bubbles in your face. Which if in an OOA situation may not be for the best. As for leaving one second on right and moving the BCD hose also to the right would be hose tangling. You will want to make sure you can deploy the long hose without the BCD hose interfering.

Have you talked to your doctor about what your mobility will be in the future? The shoulder is one of the slowest recovery surgeries. Eight months to a year for 90 to 100% recovery isn't unusual. Do your PT religiously and it will probably get better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom