Behind the Scenes: Underwater Photography at the Oil Rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaInFocus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Very nice! What was the water temp there? Also, how long has that rig been there? It looks like the various life is growing pretty well on it. Thank you for sharing!

Very nice! What was the water temp there? Also, how long has that rig been there? It looks like the various life is growing pretty well on it. Thank you for sharing!

The water temp was 59ºF at depth (110fsw). I don't know how long the rig has been there, but I know that every few years they "scrape" the life off down to a certain level. I'm not exactly sure why...perhaps to maintain the integrity of the rig. I think the nearby rig Elly was recently scraped.

Well done!
A new star of the UW Photography world is rising!

The HB platforms were placed in the 1970s- Exact date unknown at this time.

They are cleaned for inspection.

In 1958 a weakened US early warning tower was blown down off NYC-NJ, all hands lost.

Read about it:
~~~ The Texas Tower Wreck  New York and New Jersey's (Wreck Valley) ~~~
SDM

I really enjoyed your work both the write up as well as the pictures. Very good work. Thanks for posting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom