Deciding on gear--SPG + AI computer or computer only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fylamaw

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently have bought a Suunto Vyper Air integrated Dive computer, and was wondering if it was more important to get a redundant (naked) SPG or a depth gauge. What would be more important/helpful if my dive computer broke/failed/died?

Everybody I have dove with would say SPG. All the instructors at the LDS I go thru wear an air integrated computer and still have an independant SPG as part of their equipment. If your computer goes out on you your SPG is the only way to know what your remaining air pressure is. Also, if your computer drops out on you, you should be on your back to the surface.

Basic dive computers are so inexpensive, why not just get a second one?

If I had to choose between a redundant gas gauge or depth gauge, I'd take depth. When my primary measuring device went down, I knew how much gas I had, so I know I have enough to get to the surface. But in some kinds of water, it's virtually impossible to know your depth without some kind of measuring device.

Edited to add that my husband just pointed out to me that your buddy can tell you what your depth is, but he can't tell you what your pressure is . . . and he's right.

But in some kinds of water, it's virtually impossible to know your depth without some kind of measuring device.

That's a god point Lynne...I should have thought of that. One more to add to long list of things to keep in mind. :wink:

I'd get an SPG and cheap bottom timer. At some point the transmitter is going to fail. Not a matter of if, but when. Battery will die, get low, it'll lose contact, etc. Unless I'm diving on a wall or blue water with no known hard bottom I'd rather know my air pressure over anything else. And you could pick up a used analog depth gauge to keep in pocket for less than 20 bucks. But as others have said if the transmitter does fail the dive is over. It may only have been 20 minutes and you might have 2000 psi left but you don't know that. Unless you have been trained to know your SAC rate and calculate your useage for the dive in your head based on that. But most OW courses barely go past "be back with 500psi".

Some of us do have new divers calculate their SAC and practice doing that throughout the OW class. Most do not. Seems like it takes time that could be spent telling you how good a DM you'll be and signing you up for AOW and rescue before you even had your second pool session.:shakehead:

I'm a fan of having a SPG and a depth gauge. If you're on a dive vacation and your computer craps out, those two items plus a set of tables will keep you from ruining the rest of your trip. If your computer dies, that dive becomes the last dive of the day. The next day you dive tables. I never liked my first computer (one button Sherwood Profile). My console has a compass, depth , and SPG. The Profile was worn on my wrist. When I upgraded to a Mares Nemo Wide, I kept the Profile on "until I could trust" the new computer. Oddly enough I still wear both, lol.

Given the choice, hands down the SPG. Odds are I already have a good idea of what the bottom depth is and my buddy's depth gauge is fine to continue the dive on. His SPG does me no good. Most of the time, I keep a full compliment of gauges on my console...I own them so why not but my main computer is on my wrist.

A back-up redundant air integrated computer would be the ideal choice, preferably hoseless. Next best choice a SPG & a non-air integrated dive computer. Third choice a SPG & depth. Last a SPG.

If your dive computer fails you should abort the dive, unless you have a redundant air-integrated computer or SPG and redundant computer.

I dive with 2 computers and an SPG. After an incident in which my SPG and console were damaged, I decided to just get a smaller SPG. My second computer is a pretty inexpensive used Suunto so I do have redundancy on knowing my depth.

I would go with just computer.
I tried an AI and got caught in a scary situation. 2nd dive of the day at around 65ft They wanted us on the boat with 500 PSI and I was at around 700. The computer said I had 2 minutes of air time left before needing to head up to a safety stop. What it did not tell me was I was 3 minutes from having a decompression obligation. The AI computers show what ever time is less. I didn't realize this until I clicked over into the alternate view and saw my NDC time and headed for 30 feet with my buddy and then up to 15.

Another reason for going with just a computer is if it quits, you don't have to call off a dive. I now dive with a computer and an older Citizen Aqualand watch and an SPG as a back up to my computer. there is a dive table on the watch band and the screen shows my current depth, deepest depth and time during the dive. I just go with my deepest depth according to the watch and keep time from there.
CIT25037-2T.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom