Sherwood Silhouette valve issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bogtrotter

Contributor
Reaction score
I purchased a used Silhouette BC for some infrequent warm water vacation diving. It's relatively old (2000/2001) but wasn't used much- about 25 dives or so, mostly for instruction at Tobermorey (Lake Huron) in Ontario. Seeing this is a go-to bcd by many rental agencies and given it was was used by an instructor I thought I had just purchased a great little item for my purposes. However I just read online that there were issues with some of these bc's made around this time- something to do with the overpressure valve sticking in the open position and creating a potential "drowning hazard".

With this news I tried looking for a serial number on the bc but cannot locate one- there are no obvious tags. Can anyone familiar with this product let me know how I might be able to check for this? Also, if I took it into a dive shop would this particular valve issue be something that can be checked out in a standard bc test? Any suggestions or further info on this would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Yes, the problem was the power inflator button which stuck in the open position causing the BC to inflate.

You can identify the suspect power inflator's as they had a blue inflator button, the upgraded version fitted to later BC's correcting the issue, had a Grey inflator button.

Basically to repair the blue inflator button issue one simply needed to change a silicone O ring on the internal inflator shaft assembly, an easy fix really, but required two special tools to remove the assembly from the housing and remove and replace the upgraded O ring without cursing like a sailor. :D

So the short answer would be, check the inflator button color - blue, it might need the O ring to be changed out, - its impossible to tell without looking, but the special O ring was a different color as well, so once the PI is disassembled its easy to see, it (the upgraded O ring) was a sort of pink color if memory serves me well - a grey inflator button means the upgraded version is already fitted and it should be fine.

Last edited:
Thanks widget,

I'm not sure if you are referring to the same problem. This is the notice that I came across: Scuba Buoyancy Compensator Devices (BCDs) Recalled by Sheico PKS Inc.

My BC was purchased around that time, which was 2000 to 2001. That said, the inflator button is blue however. Were there problems with the inflator for bc's in 2000-2001 as well?

I'll get the BC checked out but I just want to make sure this is something that can detected in a standard bc test.

-Cheers

Hmm, the overpressure valve in my opinion relates to the shoulder dump valve's, perhaps its a terminology issue here as well, but I personally am unaware of any issues in regards to the dump valve's.

The only issue I am aware of regarding the BC's in question is the PI unit which stuck open as I posted. This was a fairly well known issue and Sherwood made everyone aware of it at the time, and provided the upgraded O ring and parts free of charge. I cant say for sure the dates of the PI issue, but it was around the same period 2001 for sure, as it was when Sherwood upgraded and changed their PI units from the old bulky unit to the new slim line unit pictured in your copy.

However, if this issue in question relates to the shoulder dump valve then I am afraid I cant comment as I was not aware of it.

My impression was that the recall I was referring to was due to the over-pressure /dump valve sticking in the open position and deflation being the issue. Anyway, I'll take it it in to my local Sherwood dealer and have them check it out.

-cheers

Okay, fair enough, it could well be, but to the best of my knowledge Sherwood never advised me on that issue. As you say its best to have it checked out by a competent technician just to be sure.

Just as a matter of interest have you used it yet.?

Not yet, although I intend to next month when I head to the Caribbean. As mentioned I'll get it checked out first as it has apparently not been used in 7 years and probably stored in the previous owners basement. He was an instructor and tech diver so I imagine if there were issues he would let me know, but again I'm not going to use it until I get it serviced.

Yeah, good plan, the PI unit was a recall but strangely enough we saw many, many units which never had any issue with the blue button, so it doesn't always affect all units, if it was an instructors / divemasters I would assume he had it in good working nick - but after 7 years its a good plan to have it checked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom