Another Chicago Dive Party

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MgicTwnger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, almost: I'm setting up a weekend of diving with N'Pursuit Adventure Charters of Hobart, IN. That's at the southern tip of Lake Michigan, just over the Indiana boarder and about 25 minutes from Chicago. http://www.npursuitcharters.com/index.html

We had a couple of nice get-togeathers last summer, and I think it's my turn to organize the next one. I've spoken to the skipper, Mike Tapper, and his bookings for next summer are still pretty much open, so I've pulled the dates out of my hat (??): June 12 & 13.

I'm looking at doing two-2 tank trips on Saturday, and a morning 2 tanker on Sunday. The cost would be $75 a trip, despite what is listed on the web site ($75 X 3). He is increasing the prices for the upcoming season. Capt. Mike seems like a good guy who runs a nice operation. He can arrange for fills and discount rooms at Harrod's. He says that the diving in the area is fun and pretty easy (<50'). The boat holds six divers.

All are welcome! Post to this thread or PM me, but be aware that I'll be in Coz from 1/6 - 1/13 (eat your hearts out).

Also, I've learned my lesson: I'll be wearing a scopolimine patch and eating a light breakfast! And Walter, I'll bring the duct tape.

MgicTwnger:
We had a couple of nice get-togeathers last summer, and I think it's my turn to organize the next one. I've spoken to the skipper, Mike Tapper, and his bookings for next summer are still pretty much open, so I've pulled the dates out of my hat (??): June 12 & 13.

I'm in. Any thoughts on water quality that time of year - ie. Is it going to be early enough to get good viz?

edit: added pic - always on the lookout for good viz!

netmage:
I'm in. Any thoughts on water quality that time of year - ie. Is it going to be early enough to get good viz?

Hope so, but I don't really know.

MgicTwnger:
Well, almost: I'm setting up a weekend of diving with N'Pursuit Adventure Charters of Hobart, IN. That's at the southern tip of Lake Michigan, just over the Indiana boarder and about 25 minutes from Chicago. http://www.npursuitcharters.com/index.html

I'm looking at doing two-2 tank trips on Saturday, and a morning 2 tanker on Sunday. The cost would be $75 a trip, despite what is listed on the web site ($75 X 3). He is increasing the prices for the upcoming season. Capt. Mike seems like a good guy who runs a nice operation. He can arrange for fills and discount rooms at Harrod's. He says that the diving in the area is fun and pretty easy (<50'). The boat holds six divers.

All are welcome! Post to this thread or PM me, but be aware that I'll be in Coz from 1/6 - 1/13 (eat your hearts out).

Also, I've learned my lesson: I'll be wearing a scopolimine patch and eating a light breakfast! And Walter, I'll bring the duct tape.

I'm in as far as I can tell. I've been out with Cap Mike a few times. Everything is shallow down on that end, but if vis is good there are several nice sites. If the vis is still good that shallow into June is the question. Depends how warm the spring is.

It's too early for me to commit but I'm definitely interested - last year was a good time. That early in the season the water should still be clearish, but on the south end of the lake the wind and weather have a big impact.

Steven

The Diver Formerly Known As Reefraff
(until Tech Support gets back from vacation)

So far we have myself, Netmage, and Laser for the weekend, plus tentitvely Jules64 and her hubby on Sunday only, and the former reeraff for the weekend. The boat holds six.

Howdy there ya'll -

Long time no message! I just haven't been logging on much lately.

But heck yeah, you know Kurt & I are always up for a nice cold dive. :) I'm sure you can count us in for whatever spots are available.

I'll go check the charter website, but does anybody know anything about the wrecks one can visit in this area? Penetrable, I hope? :)

Ken, have fun in Coz while we're freezing our potatoes off. Dang, why do I continue to live in this climate?

:)

- Carla

I'm moving to Chicago next week so I'll definately be looking to dive by June, if you still have a spot please put me in it, either or both days.

I'll be looking for dive buddies as soon as the ice thaws out there too,

cd_in_SeaTac:
I'm moving to Chicago next week so I'll definately be looking to dive by June, if you still have a spot please put me in it, either or both days.

I'll be looking for dive buddies as soon as the ice thaws out there too,

Ya know - theres tons of chi-town/midwest divers between here and the deco-stop... I have a novel idea - anyone up for a monthly get together dive at the local spots early in the season? There was a pretty good turn out late last year up at Gilboa. I figure avoid the really shallow places and try to make it happen before the blooms and the bulk of training classes take place...

Mermet, Haigh, maybe Wazee & Gilboa (Heck it can take 2 hours just to get across town - 4.5 for good diving is worth it!), any others I'm missing....?

netmage:
Ya know - theres tons of chi-town/midwest divers between here and the deco-stop... I have a novel idea - anyone up for a monthly get together dive at the local spots early in the season? There was a pretty good turn out late last year up at Gilboa. I figure avoid the really shallow places and try to make it happen before the blooms and the bulk of training classes take place...

Mermet, Haigh, maybe Wazee & Gilboa (Heck it can take 2 hours just to get across town - 4.5 for good diving is worth it!), any others I'm missing....?
Monthly sounds like a good idea, it's been moving in that direction anyways. My usual haunt is Mermet, and I'd be glad to help get that togeather for those willing to make the drive.
Carla and everyone, we can figure out exactly who's going when I get back next week, but right now I'm waiting for the shuttle to the airport. Three boat tanks a day plus shore!!! :biggrinpi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom