Hollis finger spool machined vs injection, delrin or nylon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Candiru

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got a new 100 foot hollis finger spool. The retailer and the hollis website state that the spool is machined from delrin. After taking the line off it is clearly injected molded. It also says made in Taiwan on the side of the spool.

I am concerned that I got ripped off by the retailer. The spool did come from an authorized dealer in the original packaging and the part numbers match website.

Is this product actually injected glass filled nylon like the seeker line of reels.

Please clarify.

This why I stay away from Hollis. There quality-control is substandard have had no less than five of their dive lights breakdown on me. The last one took them almost 4 months replace. I will never buy a single product from Hollis ever again...

To be fair the hollis f1 fin and my hollis SMB are excellent products. When I bought the spool I knew something was up 20 dollars paid vs the typical 40 for a machined delrin spool. There is nothing wrong with an injection molded glass fillled delrin reel in my book, but the hollis website should be upated to reflect their current product. It's unfair marketing. Also my recently purchased led 15 is an excellent light.

I just got a new 100 foot hollis finger spool. The retailer and the hollis website state that the spool is machined from delrin. After taking the line off it is clearly injected molded. It also says made in Taiwan on the side of the spool.

I am concerned that I got ripped off by the retailer. The spool did come from an authorized dealer in the original packaging and the part numbers match website.

Is this product actually injected glass filled nylon like the seeker line of reels.

Please clarify.

Thanks for your post, and sorry for the late reply. The finger spool you mention is not machined delrin as the website incorrectly specified, instead these spools are injected using glass filled nylon. This has been corrected.

Thank you,

Thanks for updating the website. All my gear performed great last week Cozumel, Playa del carmen, the pit, Tak be ha, Tak be tun. Especially the LED 15. You really cant beat it for the price.

Do I qualify for something cool (beta product???) for politely pointing out the spool error? :cuddles:

Last edited:
IMG_0110.jpg
Flying the Hollis SMB at the dos ojos lodge.

LOL, right now 20 people are sending Hollis emails hoping he mistakes them for the guy deserving the swag. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom