How is the weather & diving during 20th Oct-Nov 5th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hogge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

is the period between 20th Oct and 5th Nov ok for the Maldives?

If yes, which part is ok during this season?

/Hogge

We were there doing the 4 atolls around North Male from November 29 to December 9. Fantastic weather and ocean conditions, fair-good viz. I had friends there in mid-September and the weather was not good and viz worse. Change over from one monsoon season to the other happens in early Dec...we got lucky and received all the new season weather. Others know much more about late Oct and early Nov as it is still in the "summer monsoon season.

Rob

Dec to March is peak season, so late Oct/early Nov is definitely shoulder season. If the Monsoon turns early, you should have great weather, if not it may be quite wet.

In my experience the rain & overcast weather does not adversely impact the diving too much. I have done Sept/Oct lobs and had excellent diving.

If you are thinking of a resort based trip however, the liklihood of rain & overcast skies may take the edge of the resort time.

The rain is warm & doesn't last that long, so if you are getting a good off season price, it could still be a good time to go.

john

Mantajohn... dod you have any recommendation regarding which part in the Maldives should be "best" during this time?

There are people on here who could give you a better answer to this than me. From memory supergaijin has a good posting explaining the maldives monsoon seasons impact.

I tend to choose the resort/dive centre that appeals to me (or if swmbo is not travelling - which lob) according to its own features rather than according to the season.

The main difference according to season is incoming or outgoing current. Most resorts have sites that are good for one or other of the currents and they tend to simply vary the dive sites according to season. If you are looking for specific sightings such as whale sharks, then you will need v specific info, which alas, I do not have.

I used to prefer n/s ari atoll to get away from male region. Now I would also look north to baa atoll and to some of the southeRly atolls. It's surprising how busy the mainstream atolls are becoming.

If you would like thoughts on specific resorts, I personally have experience of rangali, coco palm bodu hithis, coco palm donu koli, filitheyo; and am heading to komandoo soon.

Please excuse spellings.

John

Hi John (and anyone else who has info),

Are there any differences in what you can see under water during this period)?
Are there different sealife north & south?

Are the any wrecks which are not too deep?

Thanks for your help

Hogge

You will not be visiting maldives for the wrecks.

The reefs/species are generally well distributed. a primary reason for choosing location is to avoid other divers - hence my suggestion of increasing distance from male.

Hi

I have been in the Maldives a few times ,one in November ( cruise) , one in December( cruise) and one in June( hotel Base) .

The problem of that time of the year is that is difficult for the guides to plan the dives as the weather could be variable.

Weather is usually fine but there is always a week during that time of the year that is rainning all the time and windi. Usually is only a week but you have to be lucky.

I was the 7 th of november this year, well the week before was all the time rainning. As has been mentioned if you are in Cruise it won´t affect you so much but it does. The problem is if you stay in a hotel.

There is a wreck in Ari called Machafushi, was placed by a resort and is at depth of 30 m

At that time of the year Mantas are on the North East . Whale Shark is always in Ari South. The place where you see more sharks is Male North but that is in Kandus under a strong current and deep. Not for novice from my point of view.

If you have any more questions please ask.

From my experience in the last few years, having always been land based, the weather in september - october is very unpredictible.
- September 2010: South Ari atoll, Rangali island: 3 weeks of rain, almost non-stop, a lots of trips were cancelled, due to heavy wind, and the all island was a lake, our clothes were getting all moldy, as well as our rooms, and of course, all the guests were very happy and smiley ^_^
- October/ November 2011 even the beginning of December: North Ari atoll, Halaveli island: very vary and some heavy rain, we had to cancel a few trips, but we were more protected on the inside of the atoll, so we could still go out to some protected dive sites.
- October 2012: Laamu atoll, Gan island: a lots of wind and rain, we couldn't take the boat out. November was impredictible too, but we had some good days of diving.

The rain doesn't affect much the dive in itself, it's just going to be a bit cold on the boat. Except when the rain is just that heavy that you can not see where you are going, neither the shallow reefs to avoid :-S and, if it happens during the dive, the boat crew can not see where the divers are coming up. It usually doesn't last long, however, when there is no wind, it can be on for a while.

The wind is really affecting us, even when it doesn't rain.
When it's too rough, it's too rough. When even the boat captain is saying it's not good, and all the fishing boats are back, it's best to not give it a try.

As said xabain2003, it can be difficult for us to plan the dives at that time of year, as some dive sites might not be accessible.
With a liveaboard, I believe it's easier to avoid the bad weather, however, sometimes it's all over the place :)

Hope you will get lucky (over and underwater) and wish you a wonderful stay in the Maldives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom