Diving Flores / Komodo / Bali after Easter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ilka

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear Scubaboard contributors,

I'm amazed at the multitude of information readily available here and would like to express my gratitude to all those avid authors taking the time to share their experience - much appreciated! I've already spent 3 days reading threads about the area and it definitely helped tremendously.

I'm joining a private charter in Flores over Easter (4 nights only) and would like to fit in some more diving on Bali before (25.-27.03.) and after (02.-10.04., whereever).

My profile:
I'm PADI AOWD, nitrox certified, slightly over 150 dives, 48 years, female, fit, reasonably good swimmer, no photographer. When diving I'm looking for the recreational sort not for a challenge. I enjoy taking my time under water and like both, big fish and critter, wrecks I don't really care for. I've been diving the GBR, Thailand, Carribean, Philippines, and in Indonesia Bunaken and Lembeh.

Personal comfort zone: Favourite depth 25 m, colourful sites, drift + mild currents, being on a boat.
Mixed: Strong to rip-your-mask-off currents; good + bad experience. Now only do them with a DM keeping a keen eye on me not getting washed away.
No-go: Bubbles all around, i.e. hordes of divers fighting over the best spot and getting that picture at any cost.

I've already contacted Aquamarine Diving as friends strongly recommended them and I'm sure they'll come up with a nice package, yet I'd really appreciate personal tips from the world wide dive community for the period of 02. - 10.04., starting at Labuan Bajo.

Yes, hopping onto another liveaboard to Raja Ampat would be a dream. Unfortunately, the last lottery ticket was another epic fail.

A small, personal resort / medium priced boat trips is what I'm looking for, 3 dives a day, maybe some sailing / snorkeling / hiking. I'm not a pool person and lying on the beach ... hmph, well ... if there's nothing else to do ....
Having learnt from my friends that it's the australian easter break I'm inclined to stay around Flores or find a quiet place void of the party crowd. Don't get me wrong, I like my drink and a relaxed chat over dinner - just toned down a notch (or two :)). I need to be close to an airport getting me to Jakarta on the 11. or 12.04. at the latest.

Thanks for any recommendations you can come up with!

Hi Ilka, there is some really good diving in Bali ranging from the famous Liberty Wreck in Tulamben to the muck sites at Puri Jati and Secret Garden and the big current dives on the east coast. Although it's only a relatively small island getting about in Bali needs a bit of planning because of the narrow roads and traffic so while staying in the south-east where most of the tourists typically are and "commuting" is an option it's not really a good one and does not sound like your cup of tea anyway...

I have just finished building a house near Canggu in the south and will be resident there from next month now that we have sold up in Sydney. I have documented all of the main dive sites areas on my site and if you follow this link to the Bali overview page and you can use the sub-menu or links at the bottom of each page to navigate your way around the island or other locations in Indonesia.

Hope this helps!

Don

Hi,

I was lucky enough to return to Komodo National Park this summer - 2 years after diving there for the first time. In 2010 I only managed to get 5 dives but they were special enough to make me travel all the way back from Scotland for 20 more in July 2012.

In 2010 I stayed in a small hill side resort (which im sorry I cant remember the name of but i think is now shut down anyway) and dived with Bajo Dive Club who were great. I saw their boats again this summer and they seem to still be doing really well.

This summer, I dived with Orca Dive Club who are based at the Jayakarta Suites. The hotel is fantastic and you can get some very reasonable deals off agoda.com (I was lucky enough to know someone working at the dive club) - I know you said your not a pool person, and neither am I but this pool is pretty amazing! And noone can deny how nice it is to jump into a non-salt water pool after a whole day out at sea!
Anyway, even if you choose not to stay at the Jayakarta, there are plenty options in Labuan Bajo itself and you can get a taxi round to the hotel (or i'm sure they would organise you a pick up).

You said you love being on a boat - dive with any operator from Labuan Bajo and you'll spend the whole day, 8am-5.30pm sometimes later, out at sea with the glorious sun beating down. Orca Dive Club have a great sized boat equiped with spacious sun deck and covered eating area.
They also cook the most delicious lunches for everyone on board.
Some companies boats' are pretty small to be spending a whole day on!

Marc is the guy I knew who works there. He is English but speaks fluent German. Really great guy and if you tell him the sort of stuff you want to see, he would plan the dive sites accordingly. In fact, it doesnt actually matter what dive sites you do, they are all FANTASTIC. There are big pelagics - amazing manta action - sharks, eagle rays, sting rays, napoleon wrasse, the lot. I'd describe the fish as being on steroids as they are all SO BIG and SO MANY of them!! There are also nice wee critter for you to spot just about everywhere too.

You also mentioned about taking your time and the currents. First of all, I've had some of the longest dives ever there, often over 80mins. There is just so much to see and look at that you will never get bored under the water in Komodo. Second...the currents can be quite strong at some sights - hence the brilliant amount of pelagics. However you seem to have done plenty dives to cope with it, and all BCD's are equipped with a hook so you can literally just hook yourself onto a rock and just watch the amazing marine life around you.

I have dived in many of the same places as you all over the world, and always find myself being drawn back to Indonesia. Komodo is without a doubt one of the best, if not THE best, places I have ever dived and this is the time to do it. There are still not lots of people diving at once and over crowded dive sites which is another thing I loved about it. It makes the things you see more personal and special. The sheer amount of life, colour, corals and visibility here is like no other place I have ever seen or been.

Bali - I dived off Nusa Lembongan in August 2010 in the hope of seeing the mola mola. We only had the chance to do 2 dives and were lucky enough to get taken to Manta Point and Crystal Rock which are 2 great sites near Nusa Penida. I dont think the time of year you are going is good for mola mola but even without them there the sites are still great.
If you want to get away from the busy Kuta then head to Sanur and get a boat out to Nusa Lembongan. Its a nice small quiet island and much closer to the good dive sites. There is plenty of accommodation and dive operators to choose from. Orca Dive Club also have a branch in Bali too!

Hope this is of some help!

Hi Laura and Don,

Thanks for your input, will take time checking the Bali sites and already had a look at the hotel you stayed in Laura, very interesting. It got me thinking about doing a couple of days in Flores when returning from the boat.

Also considering staying at Nusa Lembongan as it sounds good. Anyone know whether it's crowded after Easter? How about Bali if you get out of the south and move up east / north-east? That leg of my trip I'll be travelling solo so I'm not looking at anything too remote / secluded, either.

Thanks for helping out!

Ilka

I should of said that hotels like the Jayakarta arent usually the type of accommo I go for (usually on a budget!!) but as I said, you can usually find some good deals for it.

The high season is July/August when I was there, and there is always space..however to get a good deal it meant trudging along the beach with a heavy backpack in the hot sun!! So I suggest booking. I'm afraid I cant remember the names of the places we stayed but if you go to Jungutbatu Bay there are a mixture of resorts from cheap to mid range. Mushroom Bay is more pricey, as is Dream Beach.

It was along Jungutbatu Bay we booked our days diving from (the resort has a small pool outside ..only way I can think to describe it!)

Laura

---------- Post added January 15th, 2013 at 05:27 PM ----------

ps. I was referring to Nusa Lembongan in the 2nd paragraph!

Jungut Batu is a great option for staying in Lembongan since this is where the dive centers are located.
Personally my prefrence go to either 2fish or World diving, never tried LDC but probably as good, they both have their own accoms which are good value (2fish and Pondok Baruna).

You can easily arrange your transfer to Tulamben in a 1/2 day from there contacting a driver. I like Liberty dive resort in Tulamben, you can also arrange your transfer on their website.

Thanks for the great advice, Laura + Luko.

Just sorting through my options and trying to get organised - finally. Bit late, but lots of moving (countries) to be managed at the moment so had no time to set my mind on diving yet.

However, think I settle on Padangbai before the boat and Nusa Lembongan + Tulamben after the trip. Then a couple of days Ubud before flying out to Jakarta.

Will post a summary of the adventure when I get back.

Hi Ilka,
As I read your opening post with the sort of diving you like to do (no strong currents, boat, not too deep), the thought that came to mind for me was Menjangan Island and offshore Pemuteran. The island is part of a national park, and to reach it for diving, you need a boat; the coral and marine life there are great. Further I really enjoyed the offshore reefs at Pemuteran--they're just your depth and style of diving. The shore dives at Pemuteran are really limited so you won't be doing much of that, whereas at Tulamben (which I love, love, love), you do quite a lot of shore diving, and walking on those stones on the shore doesn't sound like what you are looking for in laid-back diving. I'd say go to Pemuteran and do the boat dives from there. Further, the drive up there is stunning.

---------- Post added February 24th, 2013 at 08:52 AM ----------

I started out by talking about Bali because you mentioned Aquamarine, which is a Bali operation. But then the title of your post smacked me upside the head, and I re-read your post to see that you prefer to start out at LBJ. So, if you want to stay on Flores rather than dive from Bali, I'd recommend Angel Island Resort.

Hi Ilka

We did a Komodo lob the year before last and it was absolutely unbelievable , you will love it. We have dived in Bali and Lombok on several occasions and for the relatively short time you have I would say that your choices are perfect. We have not stayed in Padang Bai but know plenty of people who have and they all loved it. Nl is in my humble opinion just a small step down from Komodo in terms of quality and quantity of coral and marine life. You may be lucky with mola molas , they are being spotted at the moment so fingers crossed.

Best fishes for an amazing trip x

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom