Are SS Cam Bands Needed for Backplate / STA on an HTS 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yardarm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi - will be diving single, 120 cu ft steelies for the next 3-4 months and so I've ordered a STA which requires a backplate...are the SS Cam Bands also needed or will the standard HTS bands do the job?
Thanks

no you do not need SS cam bands, many people just prefer them over the plastic ones....personally I like the Highland SS cam bands that break into two, they make setup and breakdown a whole lot easier IMO

As posted above no you don't need SS cam bands but they are preferable to me simple because of their robustness. It's not a case of if a plastic can band will break its a case of when. In my earlier diving days I had plastic bands crack so will not use again.

I like the SS bands for their weight, but I am a cold water diver with a drysuit to sink. If I flew on airlines more than I do, I would look to the plastic ones for lighter weight.

Even if one plastic cam band broke, you still have one more, kinda like most BC's.

Hi - will be diving single, 120 cu ft steelies for the next 3-4 months and so I've ordered a STA which requires a backplate...are the SS Cam Bands also needed or will the standard HTS bands do the job?
Thanks

Something to also consider when using a single 120 or any single tank on the HTS harness. Due to its soft pack design we do not recommend using an STA for diving a single tank, whether with a Hollis wing or another brand.

Something to also consider when using a single 120 or any single tank on the HTS harness. Due to its soft pack design we do not recommend using an STA for diving a single tank, whether with a Hollis wing or another brand.

Hi Nick - I'm not clear on how soft pack design affects the use of an STA (which of course, could only be used for a single tank) - what are the implications of using a backplate?
Thanks,
Larry

Hi Nick - I'm not clear on how soft pack design affects the use of an STA (which of course, could only be used for a single tank) - what are the implications of using a backplate?
Thanks,
Larry

Also interested if hollis aluminum backplate can be used with HTS.

Thanks,
Larry

Hi Larry,

The issue with using an STA alone with the HTS, is that the raw weight of the rear tank hinges on the two grommets. This causes the tank to sway side to side, damaging the grommets and the harness. If using an STA, we recommend a backplate and stabilizer plates in combination for support. Otherwise, consider using the supplied cam bands with the single wing and QLR weight pockets for ballast.

Hope this helps :wink:

Thanks,

Texasguy - thought I'd already replied to your post but I don't see it here - the Hollis documentation provides installation instructions for both the backplate and the SS STA for HTS S bladders - I've used this combination for 50+ dives. It's an okay rig though I'm over-weighted (without lead) in a 3mm shorty. Additionally the S38 vs. S24 is a bigger bladder than I need...it's bulky and the sound of air and water moving around inside the bladder is a touch annoying.

I'm 5'9" and weigh 165 lbs and carry the usual attachments - compass, shears, small knife, SMB.

I called the dealer to ask about how to determine optimal bladder sizing and he told me the sizing of the two options was nearly identical and that "bigger is always better" - yeah, not so much.

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added March 2nd, 2013 at 10:30 AM ----------

Hi Larry,

The issue with using an STA alone with the HTS, is that the raw weight of the rear tank hinges on the two grommets. This causes the tank to sway side to side, damaging the grommets and the harness. If using an STA, we recommend a backplate and stabilizer plates in combination for support. Otherwise, consider using the supplied cam bands with the single wing and QLR weight pockets for ballast.

Hope this helps :wink:

Thanks,

Thanks Nick - couple of questions:
Will the "HTS Plates" as illustrated under "hardware" on the Hollis web site (presumably the same item you referenced as "stabilizer plates" in your message) effectively replace the STA as far as creating a firm cylinder mounting platform when used with the Al BP? Are there any cylinder diameter considerations?

I'm considering a bungee for the S38 in an effort to compress it down to size - is this a reasonable approach, since the S38 is much bigger and bulkier than I need, and is a pre-sized bungee available or, can you recommend the best way to do this?
Thanks,
Larry

Back
Top Bottom