Diving with sharks at the Cleveland Aquarium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was kind of wondering the same thing....200 bucks for a 1/2 hr dive is pretty steep.

I was kind of wondering the same thing....200 bucks for a 1/2 hr dive is pretty steep.

Extremely steep boarding on ridiculous. Put the $200 toward a trip to Morehead City NC and dive with sharks in the wild.

I also think its steep, but if you look at the market, it is probably the going rate for that type of dive experience. I think they are in the same ballpark price wise as the Georgia aquarium and the Epcot dives. Those are all 30 minutes or less as well.

Did a quick check:
Epcot: $175.00 (up to 40 min dive)
Georgia Aquarium: $225 (30 min dive)

For what its worth, I would do the dive once. Just to say I've done it and experience it. :D

I know of a group that dived the Baltimore aquarium but not Cleveland. I would love to say I would not spend that much money to do it, but I likely would just because of the wildlife mixed with the visibility......but just once.

I still say the money is better spent towards a trip to Morehead City, but of course, YMMV. If you do it, be sure and let us know how you liked it.

I still say the money is better spent towards a trip to Morehead City, but of course, YMMV. If you do it, be sure and let us know how you liked it.

I completely agree that there are better "real" dives that can be done for the same money or less. :)

However, I do think its a cool idea, and if it helps the aquariums bring in a little added revenue in order to keep the doors open, I am also for it. But then again, I think volunteering to be a diver to clean the glass at an aquarium would be fun too. :)

I completely agree that there are better "real" dives that can be done for the same money or less. :)

However, I do think its a cool idea, and if it helps the aquariums bring in a little added revenue in order to keep the doors open, I am also for it. But then again, I think volunteering to be a diver to clean the glass at an aquarium would be fun too. :)

Excellent point.

I dove with the sharks in the Dubai Aquarium and the currency change it too was around $200 USD. Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo :sharkattack:

The price was kind of high and the dive lasted around 30 minutes. But you are in a giant fish bowl so 30 minutes really is long enough to see everything ... several times.

IMO the biggest thing about the aquarium dive was convenience; the aquarium is right there and it is very easy to dive. I agree 100% with Divin'Hoosier and Bone Crusher, that a dive to view sharks in the wild is WAY MUCH BETTER than an aquarium dive.

But in addition to convenience, the aquariums are great introduction to the wonderful realm of Poseidon for many kids (and adults). And to see a diver inside the aquarium gets many children excited and interested in scuba diving. Most dives also come with admission to the aquarium for the diver and sometimes others. My brother loves sharks and his 4 yr granddaughter love marine life. When she comes over to my house she spends hours looking at the pictures in my old dive magazines or watches 3D IMAX Underwater DVDs for hours. For her to see her Grandpa in the Aquarium with the charismatic mega fauna would be awesome...for both of them. This is my birthday present to him this year.
:partytime:

So Ya...$200 might seem high for a 30 minute dive, but overall I don't think so when you factor in the cost of travel. I would do it at least once so you know what the experience is all about. And I would pick a really cold & snowy day and go for a tropical dive ... even if it is artificial.

~Oldbear~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom