Oil Spill in Puget Sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep.

They said on the news last night that a harbor seal pup had already died.

We did two dives at Edmonds yesterday but the wind and currents were moving the oil South at the time. Now it reportedly has moved across the Sound to Port Madison and then as far North as Possession Head on Whidbey Island. I wonder if it will make it back to Edmonds UWP today?

I certainly hope not but who knows around here.

I thought any marine operations involving oil had to have those containment rings in place? Regardless, this sucks.

MD

MechDiver:
I thought any marine operations involving oil had to have those containment rings in place?
... but that will be corrected shortly. If they had boomed the barge ahead of the filling operation then this could have been taken care of fairly quickly and far more efficiently.

Of course if they hadn't tried to pump in 6000 gallons more than the barge could hold then this wouldn't have happened in the first place.

Uncle Pug:
Of course if they hadn't tried to pump in 6000 gallons more than the barge could hold then this wouldn't have happened in the first place.

Obviously their Texaco pump did not have a "Do not top off" sign. Sad.

At least they have protected the Columbia River areas for pristine diving :)

Uncle Pug:
... a fraction of a percent as bad as what happened in Prince William Sound.
Apparently it still hasn't completely recovered:

Long-term spill effects seen

Author: DOUG O'HARRA
Anchorage Daily News

Staff
Date: December 19, 2003
Publication: Anchorage Daily News (AK)
Page: A1

Demonstrating that spilled oil has unexpected toxic power, Exxon Valdez crude dumped nearly 15 years ago continued to harm pink salmon, sea otters, sea ducks and other marine life in Prince William Sound long after the initial disaster faded, according to a review published today in the journal Science.

The seven authors concluded that this persistent ecological threat shows the need for more environmental research and better protection against risks posed by oil and other pollution, [Read article (fee)]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom