Derawan - worth a visit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LauraProth

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Fell in love with diving in Indonesia about 3 years ago and keep getting drawn back there, however it is so difficult and time consuming to get to all the amazing places! But I am willing to do it if its worth it...

Can anyone give me any first hand info on Derawan? What the diving's like, the prices, accommodation etc? I have emailed a few companies and none have got back to me yet.

I am looking to go July/August 2013.
Love all things from mantas to pigmy seahorses and would be keen to dive the jellyfish lake.

Hope some of you can help!

I just stayed on Derawan in early December. I stayed at Derawan Dive Lodge.. same owner as Tasik Ria in Manado, and i can recommend them as a comfortable, affordable option. Rooms all with a/c, food decent enough...there aren't prices at the website, but I paid $75 for that included accommodation/all meals with $90 for 3 local dives ($165 total), $145 for 3 dives further afield (ie Sangalaki). Transfers from Berau (3.5 hours by car/boat) were incredibly reasonable...just 450,000 rupiah round trip. Unfortunately, I really wasn't impressed with the diving, especially when compared to almost anywhere else in Indonesia. Average macro...but a few highlights in that we saw Satomi's Pygmy Seahorse (here's a pic) several times, and the first Lembeh Sea Dragons that I've seen outside of Lembeh. Conditions weren't such that we were able to dive Maratua, but dove Sangalaki...caught a few mantas...also decent wall diving at Kakaban. Jellyfish Lake there was very cool..DDL doesnt charge anything extra to just make a stop there when you're diving Kakaban. Not quite as many jellies as the one in Palau, but definitely a don't miss place if you go. _-61.jpg If you go, fly Batavia on the Berau leg at your own risk! Flights were cancelled or delayed by 6 hours or more on an almost daily basis..there are other options like Sriwijaya that have to be more reliable.

I'd really rate Derawan as pretty average compared to almost anywhere else in Indonesia..I have to say I was a little disappointed--but I wanted to go check it out as somplace "different" that I'd always heard really mixed things about..I'd read some accounts that rave about it, but that wasn't my experience.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask

Thanks so much for your reply...from some of the things I've read I thought this might be the case with Derawan.

I dived Bunaken a few years ago and LOVED it..but wish I had done Lembeh while I was there!! Do you recommend Lembeh?

Also have you been to Ambon? Been hearing some good things about it.

Thanks so much for your help :)

Forget Ambon and generally speaking central Maluku (Lease islands, Bandas) at that time of the year (July August).

That leaves you with : Weh (errh.. which I won't recommend, since bleeaching has done lots of damage), Bali (though crowded), Komodo (great), Maumere(although needs to be coupled with another destination), Alor, Bangka (critters of Lembeh plu sbest corals in N/sulawesi)... you could even try the sheltered northern area of R4, from what I read (never been myself).
I dont think diving south East Sulawesi / Wakatobi area in that time of the year is optimal (may be someone can confirm).

@ocdiver1 you were there also in December,thats good and your thoughts.this area is someways sadly has been neglected the last years and in 2003 spent a lot of time in this area and whole east coast,sipadan and south and truly was stunning in many ways.The Mantas at Sangalaki were breathtaking and lots of things to see around all the islands and Maratua was stunning,which still a great place to go,don't tell me you did not go there.Sangalaki was truly a beautiful island and would see turtles come ashore and hatching of turtles at the same time.It is so sad what has happened to Sangalaki.

@LauraProth it is a beautiful area .Maratua would also be worth looking at,as far as time of year.As Luko states and with Wakotobi area,best time September.OCTOBER !

Ocdiver1's review mirrors my own impression, but he has been there much more recently than I. In short, there are better destinations that are at least as easily accessed, but the Derawan trip offers two rare attractions: Kakaban's jellyfish lake, one of only two in the world (Palau's is much better though), and the mantas at Sangalaki.

Thanks so much for your reply...from some of the things I've read I thought this might be the case with Derawan.

"I dived Bunaken a few years ago and LOVED it..but wish I had done Lembeh while I was there!! Do you recommend Lembeh?

Also have you been to Ambon? Been hearing some good things about it."

Thanks so much for your help :)

No problem :). Lembeh and Ambon are amazing and are probably my two fav places in the entire world. As others have stated, July/August is the wrong time for Ambon (Lembeh is fine).

Back
Top Bottom