Think it's time to accept my limitations...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lizard Leg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've posted a few times on here and have talked to almost every dive instructor I can find. Might be time to accept my limits - but one more try.

I am a right leg, below knee amputee and dive with a custom prosthetic that allows my right foot module to go to the correct angle for flutter kicks. See pic:

IMG_1666-corrected.jpg

Although not really going for cave cert right now, cavern sounds like fun, I am more interested in photography/video and am trying to find a finning technique that doesn't stir the bottom up. I can rotate the foot to a 90º walking orientation, but with all of the liners and sleeves required I cannot bend my knee to the 90º or so required for a modified flutter.

With this leg stuck out and pointed the entire dive it's proving very difficult to get close to the bottom and maintain a hover in any form of current/surge without silting out the vis. I have my BC weighted slightly head heavy, so when I hover I hang slightly head down in an effort to keep my fin out of the silt/sand/muck. It's better but still not good enough IMHO. I don't want to be the guy who blows out the vis for the next photographer in line.

Any suggestions? I have tried taking the leg off and only using one fin, but feel so lopsided and with the weighting being off always want to roll. Moving most of the lead to one side to counter balance doesn't help that much.

Thanks,
Steve

Can you do a semblance of a frog kick by rotating the right leg and pushing both fin surfaces toward each other? How about moving the left leg over the right and kicking down into the other fin blade?

There is a guy from canada who comes down here to cave dive that specializes in scuba for folks far more injured than you. If anyone knows of a solution it'd be him.
I'll find his info and send it to you. (Just sent his info via PM)

Thanks!! Although cave diving isn't on the list - yet - the techniques involved are the same ones I want to learn.

Moving the left leg over the right and pushing down the fin.. a little confused on this one. As far as normal flutter kicks go, I have no issues whatsoever with finning. This was over a year ago with my cheapy snorkel fins of the time - I've come a long way since then. This old leg doesn't aloow the angle to change - it was fixed at a swimming/finning angle all of the time. Skip to 0:20 in.

[video=youtube_share;97Grd5Qwlq0]http://youtu.be/97Grd5Qwlq0[/video]

You could try turning on your side so your flutter kick is not directing the water flow from your fins into the bottom. Obviously you would only use this for short periods of time to avoid kicking up silt.

I'm sure this is "fixable", although I'm not sure its going to be possible via the internets. There are some cave divers in LA and probably some HSA instructors too. Either one (or both) would probably be willing to work with you to develop a repetoire of kicks. I'm not sure how much traffic the HSA section of this board has but maybe try contacting them through their website. Handicap Scuba Association

Have you heard of Leo Morales? He just set a world record for deep diving for people with (dis)abilities. Leo lost one of his legs from the hip down due to cancer, and back in december he dove to over 400' for his record. he is also a cave diver and I believe just completed (or is in the process of completing) his IDC. A Life Worth Living: the Inspiring Story of Leo Morales | SDI | TDI | ERDI
I am sure he would be able to give you some pointers!

As Mdax said, there is a little known and often rarely used anti-silt technique in which the top leg flutter kicks down onto the still bottom leg compressing the water and squishing it so that it gets directed off the still blade to the back and sides kind of like a modified scissors.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom