Sidemount to get into tech.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vidar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning on getting into tech (advanced nitrox and deco procedures, for now). I have a couple questions about how to go about getting into SM in order to pursue tech diving.

1) I have two X7 HP100s. If I wanted to use them, would I need to change the valve on one of them so they both face up while sidemounted?

2) Is there a downside to learning tech on SM without doing BM doubles? I've read posts regarding diving SM versus BM, but what about being instructed in SM, especially by someone who doesn't dive SM? (I don't know of any SM instructors here)

Some background info about me: I'm on south Vancouver Island, and have only dove cold water. Right after my OW course I got my own gear and have dove with a long hose and BP/W setup focusing on buoyancy and finning, so those aren't issues. I plan on doing dives to see glass sponges etc around the island, and eventually work my way up to wreck diving.

Thanks,
Roger

I do not think the configuration is an issue. It is the knowledge you will gain from a qualified instructor. So...... if you want to dive sidemount for adv nitrox/deco pro you need to really take the course from a " practicing instructor " in side mount to get the full benefit. YMMV Good luck!
Eric

Re: the valve, get the left and right sided valves of a manifold. Plug the holes and you are setup valve-wise for sidemount. In the grand scheme of things this is no cost at all. Single tank valves and using a single tank valve backwards or upside down is not a good way to learn good habits and muscle memory.

Re #2
In a perfect world I think it doesn't matter.
Practically speaking I think you are going to find that there just aren't many sidemount instructors anywhere on the Island or even the mainland. There just isn't a real good reason to be diving sidemount up there beyond the sexy factor. Its not needed for WA or BC wrecks for sure. I am diving SM up on the north island for caves, but that's just because hiking in doubles is alot of work and sometimes impossible.

I am not an instructor, although I am a DM. I am happy to go SM diving with you if you want to come down to WA, Lake Crescent would actually be a good place and that's just a 90min ferry ride + 30min drive from Victoria. I have hp100s and you are welcome to try my Hollis SMS100 for a dive assuming it fits you. I need to rejigger my Razor anyway. We can talk about the right tools for the dives you aspire to. If that's too far you can contact Liz Tribe in Victoria. She's not a SM instructor but she might know one.

I was planning on taking my courses through Liz, actually. I'll send you a message about heading over to Washington, thanks!

I was planning on taking my courses through Liz, actually. I'll send you a message about heading over to Washington, thanks!

No problem, bring Liz over with you and I can show you a few spots in Lake Crescent. Its kinda boring critter-wise but does have 100ft vis so its still good for occasional fun.

If you plan to use the tanks you have on a regular basis, then changing the valve on one of them is a good idea, so that each inlet faces you with the knob more or less down.

Ideally you could, and maybe even should, get a left and right modular valve, but to an extent it's overkill as you already have one valve and just need the other. If buying on line, take care that you get the "other" one you need as some companies refer to valves as left and right looking from the front while others label them left and right looking from the rear.

The other reality check here is that if you travel anywhere and rent tanks, the odds are you will get standard valves and the tank on your left hand side will have the valve knob facing up. It's slightly less comfortable to turn on/off, but the major impact will be if you are using a bungee system that relies the bungee slipping under the valve knob. Some valves have enough protrusion on the burst disc assembly to hold the bungee securely enough but others don't so you may need to improvise or be flexible with the bungee system.

I like my valves to face in. It should not be an issue about the valves as long as you are proficient with your equipment. Go for it man...

Alright, I'll look into a new valve for one of the tanks. The whole bungee thing is what confuses me the most, how the tanks stay put, but I'll get some help with it :)

I've read posts regarding diving SM versus BM, but what about being instructed in SM, especially by someone who doesn't dive SM? (I don't know of any SM instructors here)

Somebody who doesn't dive SM can not teach SM. You need to have experience of what you're teaching. Otherwise you're paying someone to teach you things they've just made up on the spot.

I agree with the above, and I've seen one or two OW SM instructors who teach it really badly. If you have access to someone who currently dives sidemount and can mentor you, that's better than getting bad instruction from a less than knowledgeable instructor who may not even be familiar with your particular rig.

If you weren't confused about the whole bungee thing, I'd be worried. The old adage is that if you ask 10 different sidemount divers how to configure a rig, you'll get 12 different answers, and that's probably being conservative and estimating on the low side. There are at least 4 distinct major systems of bungees in use with a crap load of variations. There are also at least 4 major systems for rigging tanks and again a crap load of variations. Then you get into the nuances of where the rigging is placed on the tank, the valve orientation, SPG placement, house routing, etc.

It can be a little intimidating to learn on your own, and that route will be long, at times frustrating and will result in lots of configuration changes. You'll learn an awful lot about what doesn't work along with the things that do along with "why", and there's some value in that as well. Ideally, if you can find someone who dives the same rig you do and dives it well, getting instruction or mentoring from them can be a great place to start.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom