Florida Wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pinkbubbles

Reaction score
I'm two months from a weeklong trip to Miami Beach/S. Florida area.
I want to dive the best, most challenging wrecks in the area.

I’ve received some great input already on another thread (thanks) but wanted to make another attempt here.

I am planning to make arrangements early to complete my “wreck specialty” the first day of my trip.

So, my first question is:
1) What is the best dive shop in the upper to middle Keys to achieve the specialty?
2) If you had to limit yourself to the top 5 wrecks, what would they be?

Thank you in advance. I have totally enjoyed all the input so far.
I’ve printed most of them and I’ve got a great source to help make the final ‘vacation’ plans.
I love this site and hope that someday, as my experience grows I can return the favor.

You you want to get a card? or do you want to learn? If you want to learn go to Divers City MM 104 Oceanside in Key Largo. Bob and Barbara are sharp.

My favorite wrecks in the Keys in order:

1. Eagle 287' long 115' deep
2. Bibb 327' long 134' deep
3. Duane 327' long 122' deep
4. Thunderbolt not sure how long 122' deep
5. Hens & Chickens wreck not sure how long 15' deep - lots of growth.

DSSW,

WWW™

Can I assume that you see 'getting the card' and 'learning' as two different things.
I want to do both. I value my "class time" with my LDS. I read everything assigned and pay very close attention to my instructors.
Getting the card really means something to the diver who respects her instructors.
I feel sorry for anyone hoping their experience would be like mine. There's good and bad everywhere.

Anyway - At one point I was told that some DM's/boats want to see your wreck cert. card OR you have to tag along behind them.

My buddy and I have identical cert.s and experience.
We just want to be sure (since we have the time to prepare) that we have what they want to dive the good wrecks.
That's all.

Walter,
That was excellent information. I would like to put a group together to go down there and dive those wrecks. Do you know what the largest size group Bob and Barbara would take?
Also, I have heard of all those, but the Hens and Chickens. Can you elaborate?
Thanks!

I can't speak for them, but I believe Divers City has a 10 diver limit.

Hens and Chickens is a beautiful reef with large coral heads coming from the sand (about 18 ft) up to within inches of the surface. While it is beautiful, it is also rarely blessed with good visibility. There is a very old wreck located on the reef. Just about all that's left of the wreck is the keel and ribs, but it has tons of growth and is quite beautiful. Since it is so shallow, you can stay down on it for quite a long time.

DSSW,

WWW™

Walter,
I'm thinking about this for June. Last time I dove in the keys it was October, a few years ago, and the vis wasn't great. I thought that would be a good time. What do you think?
Also, do you have a web site for Divers City?
Thanks again. And thanks Pink, for bringing it up.
:sunny:

Natasha,June is about the best time to hit the Keys.There are fewer out of state divers .Mostly Florida locals on vacation.Vis is good ,storms are rare.I love the Thunderbolt,but we stay in Little Torch Key every year now.The Busch is only 6 miles from our house.It is the easiest wreck to dive I've ever seen.There is a good chance to see Goliath Grouper(Jewfish)we've seen as many as 4 in one dive there as well as other larger fish such as Tarpon,Rays,Snook,Sharks and it has an easy swim thru the holds and bridge.I'd stay out of the engine room unless experienced in some overhead diving.BTW if in the upper Keys try Anthonys I talian resturant,food is choice.It's aroung MM100 or so

The Eagle is excellent, The Thunderbolt also. Hens and Chickens is a great shallow dive, if you dive without a guide the wreck is hard to find, still a beautiful dive. The Duane and Bibb are more difficult, I'm told, I never had the pleasure to dive either. If you can, chose the smaller boats-six packs, and go early in the morning. We usually go in July or August, vis was always good. I don't believe you need a wreck cert. card, we were never asked, but unless you are going to get that particular cert, with an Instuctor, most dive ops will make sure you have the skills to do the dive or they will not take you out. Start with the Eagle.

I haven't dived the keys recently and I know it is a prime area for divers to travel to, but if it about wreck diving then you should try North Carolina.

I sold my gear before I was transferred there 15 years ago, I thought there was no diving. 1000 NC dives later I want to say that 100 foot viz and 85 degree water is the summer norm. But the real point is that the wrecks are really wrecks and not artifical reefs. What a difference!!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom