Flying into raja ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

puncho

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm looking at flights flying into RA from Bali. I know the itinerary is from Bali to makassar to sorong. It looks like I can book a flight online from Garuda and arrive at 8ish pm. Stay overnight and then take merpati or xpress air to sorong. People say to avoid merpati. It doesn't look like either of them have online booking tho. Should I wait until I get to Indonesia (will be there about a week prior to my liveaboard)? or should i use an agent to book it for me?

Thanks

I would use an agent or do it yourself. Don't wait until you get there to book. There are also some links in the Indonesia forum that tell you how to book tickets yourself using an American credit card! We have always used an agent because when there have been problems they took care of it and we had no worries whatsoever! On your overnight in Makassar try to stay at the hotel Aryaduta! We did this same route one time to RA and loved that hotel! Hopefully you will be there for the Brazilian BBQ night! Well worth the money! They also upgraded us for free to a very high floor room with a great view! It is right on the water! Have fun!

I tried to go to the Sriwijaya Air website but it's really slow. Any agent recommendations?

Sriwajaya is slow at certain times in the day (I just made some bookings) - You can book and pay direct on the website which is a big + for me.

There is a direct flight from Surabaya to Sorong with Sriwijaya. We booked all our flights for next summer with ticketindonesia.info. They charge a small fee but it is still a lot cheaper than to book it with our travel agency.. You can fly with airasia from Denpasar to Surabaya (very cheap, easy to book and until now we never had any delays with airasia..).

Thanks all for the advice. I'd rather fly into makassar since it's on the way.

Wow, sriwajaya flies from makassar to sorong early...3 and 4 am!

So I'm thinking of taking the Garuda flight from Denpasar arriving at 8pm and then staying/sleeping at the airport until the 3am flight. Is the makassar airport safe enough to catch a few hours of sleep? Booking online with Garuda/sriwajaya will have no problems confirming and getting on those flights? I've heard indo flights can be a nightmare. Thanks again.

the Makassar airport is very nice! They have a very nice Starbucks too! I would feel safe sleeping there. We did catch some ZZZZZZZZZZ's once in a little sitting lounge there. It was fine!

Hi Puncho,
Yes, we used these flights on our trip Dec. 22, 2012. The flights arrive on time, We slept at daystay & spa hotel at second floor adjacent to gate 5,- cost us approx USD 40 per 6 hours. Clean room with shower but the insulation not very good, we still can hear the noise from departure hall.
Other alternative is the transit hotel, slightly cheaper, 20 minutes from airport - they provide shuttle service.

As Jake said, makasar airport is very nice, infact much better than Jakarta, I don't see any problem to sleep there or order a cup of capucino and sitting for 4 hours at starbuck

Thanks all for the advice. I'd rather fly into makassar since it's on the way.

Wow, sriwajaya flies from makassar to sorong early...3 and 4 am!

So I'm thinking of taking the Garuda flight from Denpasar arriving at 8pm and then staying/sleeping at the airport until the 3am flight. Is the makassar airport safe enough to catch a few hours of sleep? Booking online with Garuda/sriwajaya will have no problems confirming and getting on those flights? I've heard indo flights can be a nightmare. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom