weighted STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sithong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Greetings,

I am putting together a Hollis HTS2/S#38 Wing/Aluminum BP/STA system and wish to know if the Halcyon removable epoxy-coated (2.7kg) STA weight will work with the Hollis STA. Many thanks in advance...

Cheers,

Mark

Yes it will. The Halcyon and Hollis STA are the same, I've owned both.

Just out of curiosity why have you chosen an aluminum plate?

A note of caution, check out your trim requirements first, although i use a steel plate, I found when diving a steel tank the weighted STA made me too top heavy and I had to remove it.

(I dive wet in a 2x FJ).

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. My initial reason for choosing an aluminum plate was for travel purposes (warm water dive destinations). Most of my diving will be in a drysuit in cold waters off Vancouver Island and I did seriously consider a steel plate - however - my rationale was that a 2 pound plate with a removable 5 - 7 pound STA weight should meet my trim requirements and provide the option of a nice travel rig. This will be my first BP/Wing and I haven't competely ruled out the steel plate alternative. I appreciate your insights and defer to the expertise of much more experienced divers.

Yes it will. The Halcyon and Hollis STA are the same, I've owned both.

Just out of curiosity why have you chosen an aluminum plate?

A note of caution, check out your trim requirements first, although i use a steel plate, I found when diving a steel tank the weighted STA made me too top heavy and I had to remove it.

(I dive wet in a 2x FJ).

Although I do use an Al plate when traveling, the reality is a steel plate does not add that much to your suitcase often you can save weight in other areas. In warm water a steel plate is great because it offsets the buoyancy swing of the common Al tanks you find at most tropical destinations, this combined with a thin wetsuit often means you need very little if any additional weight.

I own a travel set and local set not because I needed it but more because I'm a gear freak with more money than sense.

I do however get your thinking. If I were you, unless you're loaded with cash in which case buy both, I'd buy the plate based on the majority of my diving and a steel plate would probaby suit your local diving needs better. But I'm not you so of course buy the one you want, you won't really go wrong either way and like most divers if you stick with it you will end up with more than one plate/rig anyway.

Good luck, feel free to ask any other questions and rembember most of what people will tell you, including me, is based on personal preference and opinion so have a good read around talk to other more experienced divers if you can get as much info as possible and don't rush into anything, diving is expensive anyway and buying twice is super expensive lol....

Thanks again for the valuable insights...I am leaning toward the steel plate:)

Although I do use an Al plate when traveling, the reality is a steel plate does not add that much to your suitcase often you can save weight in other areas. In warm water a steel plate is great because it offsets the buoyancy swing of the common Al tanks you find at most tropical destinations, this combined with a thin wetsuit often means you need very little if any additional weight.

I own a travel set and local set not because I needed it but more because I'm a gear freak with more money than sense.

I do however get your thinking. If I were you, unless you're loaded with cash in which case buy both, I'd buy the plate based on the majority of my diving and a steel plate would probaby suit your local diving needs better. But I'm not you so of course buy the one you want, you won't really go wrong either way and like most divers if you stick with it you will end up with more than one plate/rig anyway.

Good luck, feel free to ask any other questions and rembember most of what people will tell you, including me, is based on personal preference and opinion so have a good read around talk to other more experienced divers if you can get as much info as possible and don't rush into anything, diving is expensive anyway and buying twice is super expensive lol....

Thanks again for the valuable insights...I am leaning toward the steel plate:)

I went with steel. I use 2# additional weight in Caribbean with a LS wetsuit top.

Enjoy your trip! Thailand is great, my son and I were diving off Koh Lanta last December. BTW, I put in my order for a steel plate :)

No problem, you are most welcome. FWIW I'm off to Thailand in march and will this time likely take my steel plate.

Enjoy your trip! Thailand is great, my son and I were diving off Koh Lanta last December. BTW, I put in my order for a steel plate :)

thank you, it's my 5th trip there. I've dove Koh Lanta too there are some vey nice sites offshore. Congrats on your new purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom