Absolutely fantastic porpoise footage...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I saw this on a news program, and I thought it thought provoking enough to share. What this bottlenose dolphin does speaks VOLUMES about the intelligence and cognition of the species.
It also says a great deal about the plight of organisms in the wild as they struggle to cope with challenges, some of which are man-made. For me, it is extremely compelling when a denizen of the ocean sidles up to a diver and, essentially, asks for help.

The entire marine world might be doing the same thing.Dolphin Rescue Hawaii.mp4 - YouTube

Wow very impressive. You can't tell me that the dolphin did not understanding that the diver was helping it.

Diving with the Mantas at Kona is on my bucket list; assisting wildlife is a long life passion.

Great video...very heart warming.

I just saw a reference to this story via Yahoo News and then went and found it on YouTube (and then came here to see if it had been posted). Just awesome. I can't lie, I teared up. Glad they could help. Hopefully that hook will rust away and not cause too much damage (or illness) to that dolphin. Such amazingly intelligent creatures. You know it definitely came for help and new they could.

Think of it as a piercing. Unfortunately, the hook will take years to rust. There is a Japanese company developing a dissolvable fishing line which should help entanglement risk in the future, but the hooks are still going to be a problem. Having had a barbed hook imbedded in my back,it is a painful ordeal. It goes in easier than it comes out. Feel bad for the porpoise. God bless him for trying to remove it.

Awe-inspiring! I had seen this story on Yahoo! and watched the video on Youtube. They have updated the information on the video -- the diver was able to remove the hook after all. This is wonderful! Now if only we didn't continue to create these kinds of problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom