Mares MRS weight system fails with DIRE consequences for diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharene

New
Reaction score
# of dives
We have sold 2 x Mares MRS BCD's within the last 6 months, 1 x Mares prestige BCD and 1 x Mares Hybrid BCD - both units have failed with the Mares Hybrid MRS weight system causing major injury to diver.

The Mares prestige MRS BCD has so far failed on 4 occassions but luckily the Divemaster was able to control his ascent and avoid any problems, however 4 failures is NOT acceptable Mares! The Mares rep suggested that the Divemaster may not know how to operate the gear, however, after the second failure he has on each dive had 4 other independent Divemasters or Instructors double check his gear prior to commencement of the dive. Each pocket was only weighted with 9lbs. Mares, you need to start accepting responsibility as there are too many people with issues with the Mares MRS weigt system....

The Mares Hybrid BCD was worn for the 1st time by a new open water diver with not as much experience dealing with weight issue problems, His unit failed twice on the same dive and as a result he suffered sever middle ear barotrauma (attributed to failur of equipment whilst scuba diving) with TM perforation to the right ear and a TM rupture to the left ear. The Diver is currently undergoing extensive treatment with specialitst and will not be allowed to dive for 4-6 months.

Sorry Mares, but this is NOT acceptable and until the matter is addressed we will be removing ALL mares BCD's from sale in our dive shops!!!!

Have you thought about posting this on the Mares forum as well?

Could you describe in detail just how the failure occurred? I have owned a Mares BCD with the MRS weight system, and once they "click" in, they aren't coming out unless you yank them out.

Not sure how to go about that but it would be a good idea

---------- Post added January 23rd, 2013 at 05:55 PM ----------

In both these BCD's the weight pockets were fully clicked in but you can simply pull the pocket out by pulling with your hand.....1 pocket is fine and stays put but the other just comes out....we have had technicians from other companies look over the system and they agree trhat on both these BCD's there is 1 pocket that poses a problem on each!

---------- Post added January 23rd, 2013 at 05:57 PM ----------

Mares Asia Pacific has come bacvk to me today and has agreed to send both BCD's to Italy for testing and has agreed therer may be an issue....stay tuned for the outcome

The only way the MRS could release as described is the buckle (either the male or female side) became deformed.

The MRS weight system actually has quite a few negative reviews for this very reason. This was my experience: I tried using the MRS system on my brand new BCD while fun diving and the weight pocket on one side refused to stay in. It wasn't coming unlatched at first but the actual weight pocket kept tumbling out of it's hole and would just hang there by the quick release buckle until I shoved it back in and held it there with my hand. At the end of my dives while at the surface I tested it a few times by falling forward (vertical to horizontal) while still in the water and on more than one occasion the shifting of the pocket jarred the buckle enough to release it completely. After inspecting the pocket back at home, the only thing I could figure out was that there are two peices of webbing on each pocket that go from the handle through a plastic plate on the weight pocket (thus attaching the 2 pieces). The webbing is doubled back on itself and stitched together but the double folding does not make the webbing thick enough to prevent it from unthreading itself through the plastic plate. For whatever reason, they neglected to just sew the 2 pieces of webbing to each other, forming a loop that would have to come unsewn in order for them to fail. I was considering doing this myself but I'm certain it would have voided any warranties and after 4 dives with this happening I was more than willing to just go back to a weight belt. Luckily my bladder sprung a leak so I just sent it back and ended up getting a new BCD from another manufacturer so I didn't have to worry about it anymore. An unexpected ride to the surface is not fun for anybody.

I have the MRS on a Vector Chrome BCD and have suffered no issues with 5kg in each pocket. I find they are very secure.

At a glance that system looks similar to the one used by aqualung now a days and it gives me the creeps when I see others I know using it. Damn things are PITA to get clipped in and I never feel like they are in secure. But I have to say we have never had issues that i know of with them falling out.on the other hand that also doesn't mean i have to like the system either.

In addition to the problems which are reported in the link below - I have had a zip failure that caused the pocket to loose weights whilst on a dive.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/buoyancy-compensators-bcs-weight-systems/452497-mares-mrs-plus-weight-pouch-dropping-root-cause.html

The BC is just over one year old and purchased for my dive holiday last year - used it for 10 days diving in the Red Sea. Went back this year and three days into my holiday the zip broke at depth and the weights came out. It looks just like any zip that breaks with the fastener moving across the zip but the zip not connecting together.

Checked out the Mares web site and no way to contact them, customer service, nothing!

I have had to order a new weight pouch after just 2 holidays with the BC and then I am going to have to try the securing methods detailed in the above link. Really regret buying this Mares BC (Hybrid) - in future would look for a BC that has an extra securing mechanism apart from the click lock. Would definitely recommend anyone against buying a Mares BC with the locking systems that are illustrated in the above link.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom