Aladin tec 2G problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jspeybro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,

I received an aladin tec 2G computer from a friend. he thought the battery was dead so replaced it. After replacing the battery, the computer still didn't work, so he gave it to me (he does that with all his stuff that he doesn't need ;-) ).

After measuring the old battery with a multimeter, it was clear that this battery was empty. the new one is still OK.
Anyway, I cleaned the contacts of the battery, cleaned even the battery, cleaned the water contacts with water, and put the new battery back in and it worked... at least for a moment.
After playing a little with the menu's, the screen went blank, nothing anymore.
I took the battery out, back in and it worked again for a brief moment. Now I can't seem to get it running anymore.

Did anyone else experience problems after replacing the battery?
I searched the forum but only found happy users. Also on the internet I couldn't find similar stories.

The warranty is expired, so I'm not sure what they will do when I take it to a dive shop.

any ideas?

Thanks,
Johan

I would try a third battery, ive had weird stuff happen with batteries. Other than that you may be out of luck, not sure if a repair is possible or even financially viable given the low cost of purchasing a new one. Good luck.

Try being a bit more aggressive on cleaning the battery contacts. Very fine sandpaper (800 grit or finer) or maroon Scotch Brite is worth a try. You may have an oxide film that water may not remove.

Test the battery again. Maybe there is a low resistance short circuit somewhere that drains the battery very fast.

Else, try asking Uwatec. I have heard stories of them replacing the computer although the warranty had expired.

They are pretty specific about what brand of batteries to use. The o-ring is also silicon impregnated, and not something you can just buy anywhere. I bought the battery kit from a Uwatec dealer and it came with a Renata. It was either Sony or Sanyo for the other recommended battery but I can't remember which. So yes I paid $18 for a $2.00 battery and what should be less than a dollar o-ring *shakes head*

Hi, I bought a new battery. the new one measured 3.2V, while the 'old' new battery only measured 2.7V. When I installed the battery, it beeped once, and when I closed the lid, it worked fine.
I'll clean the contacts again and see if it keeps working.
The old new battery (panasonic) was purchased as a kit in a dive store, the new battery was a Varta battery. both are CR2450 batteries.
If it drains the battery too fast, I'll try to contact uwatec.

Thanks for the tips.
Johan

I have the same computer and similar problems. Computer went blank after last dive, not a big deal since I have over 100 dives in last three years. I just figured the battery was dead. I replaced the battery, it turned on, then I turned it off and put it back in my bag. I pulled it out today to set the preferences and dead again..... I replaced the panasonic CR2450 with an aproved Sony CR2450. I will try another battery again tommorrow. How did your situation workout? Mine is obviously past the warranty period.

I have the same computer and similar problems. Computer went blank after last dive, not a big deal since I have over 100 dives in last three years. I just figured the battery was dead. I replaced the battery, it turned on, then I turned it off and put it back in my bag. I pulled it out today to set the preferences and dead again..... I replaced the panasonic CR2450 with an aproved Sony CR2450. I will try another battery again tommorrow. How did your situation workout? Mine is obviously past the warranty period.

well, it worked for 1 dive in pool water (Nemo33, to 30m). It worked fine. After that, I put it away for a few weeks. When I wanted to use it again, the battery was dead again, so I think something is draining the battery.
I haven't looked for a solution yet since then.

let me know what you find out.

Johan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom