Magician to Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bperc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My friend Larry and I went out on the Magician last Sunday on an Intermediate/Advanced trip to Catalina. We started the day at Ship Rock. There were a lot of suspended particles in the water column and the current was pretty strong. We saw some abalone, lots of blacksmith and sheephead, and corals. It was my first time diving at Ship Rock and I definitely want to dive there again. Our second dive was at Fern Grotto. The current there was not as strong, but there was still a lot of suspended particles in the water. It was my first dive here also. Seeing all of the Gorgonians hanging from the ceiling was a really cool sight. We saw a very unusual jelly fish caught on some kelp. Our last dive was at the Rock Quarry. We looked for the scythe butterfly fish, but couldn't find them. Maybe next time. We saw some large abalone, a lobster, and lots of garibaldi and sheephead.

Here are some pictures from our dives. What type of jelly fish is this?
IMG_7333.jpgIMG_7350.jpgIMG_7376.jpgIMG_7425.jpgIMG_7432.jpgIMG_7458.jpg

There were only 17 divers and the boat holds 28.

My friend Larry and I went out on the Magician last Sunday on an Intermediate/Advanced trip to Catalina. We started the day at Ship Rock. There were a lot of suspended particles in the water column and the current was pretty strong. We saw some abalone, lots of blacksmith and sheephead, and corals. It was my first time diving at Ship Rock and I definitely want to dive there again. Our second dive was at Fern Grotto. The current there was not as strong, but there was still a lot of suspended particles in the water. It was my first dive here also. Seeing all of the Gorgonians hanging from the ceiling was a really cool sight. We saw a very unusual jelly fish caught on some kelp. Our last dive was at the Rock Quarry. We looked for the scythe butterfly fish, but couldn't find them. Maybe next time. We saw some large abalone, a lobster, and lots of garibaldi and sheephead.I saw a jelly just like the one in your photo on a dive two weeks ago off anacapa is.

Here are some pictures from our dives. What type of jelly fish is this?
View attachment 145525View attachment 145526View attachment 145527View attachment 145528View attachment 145529View attachment 145530
I saw a jelly like the one in your photo on a dive at anacapa island two weeks ago , i don't know what kind it is but looks cool.

Coral? I assume you mean soft coral (gorgonians). The only stony coral we have here on Catalina are cup corals.

The jelly may be a dying fried egg jelly. I've seen a few in our waters recently.

Ship Rock is one of my favorite Catalina dive sites... especially the great whites that hang around the area!

Thanks Dr. Bill. The jelly looked like it was dying. Yes, I saw several cup corals. The visibility was between 25 and 30 feet, so fortunately we didn't see any great whites that close. :D

We did get to see a group of about 8 or 10 grey whales after the third dive. It was really awesome seeing that many swimming around the area. Two of the grey whales swam right in front of the boat.

We've been to the Rock Quarry 3 times now, at least, and never saw one. I'm wondering if it is a myth perpetuated by divemasters that have a good laugh the whole time they watch our bubbles crisscrossing the rock pile looking for something that never was.

Out of my dozens of dives at the Rock Quarry, I only saw the Scythe Butterfly fish twice. They're elusive.

Hopefully luck will be with us on our next trip.

Both times that I saw the scythe butterfly fishes at the Rock Quarry, they were at different places too. And they were both by themselves. Depth was about 30-40 ft, so it wasn't deep and the time of the year was spring and summer respectively.

If somebody knows where these mamajams hang out, then they ain't tellin'.

Back
Top Bottom