TUBBATAHA REFF-PHILIPPINES Is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

egnpaz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I´m planning a long diving vacation to the philippines and the name of Tubbataha Reef pop up as famous destination, but only accesible via liveaboard, so started doing some research about this dive site and saw various videos on youtube but honestly didn´t catched my eye, all I saw is some ok corals but really very few life, some schools of fish some turtles. I mean compared to some dive site I´ve been (galapagos, sipadan island, read sea...) looks pretty common dive site, nothing you wouldnt see in any other diving destination in philippines. So my question is: Is it really worth the money? (Perhaps most of the people that go there are new divers and thats the reason everyone finds this place amazing). Anyways I would like to read some opinions from people that been there... Thanks!

I went a couple years ago. Had a good time but nothing you wont see elsewhere really. Hoping for hammerheads but didn't see any. Did have a nice whaleshark experience so that was pretty nice. But overall, nothing you wont get elsewhere and I think your money/time can be better spent other parts of SE Asia. And know its very seasonal - can only get there some times of the year - and thus boats fill up fast. I also spend a week in Coron and loved it... went over to the other N. Side for a couple days to hunt for Dugong. Found a couple... was fun. If you want to splurge or have a lady-friend with you spend a couple nights on Paradise Island. The guy who runs the Dugong operation can probably get you a substantial discount. Also spent a week in PG. Loved it, but I am a macro-guy. Dove with Mark @ Sea Rider. Awesome guy. Phil has a lot to offer and pretty cheap diving.

I dove Tubbataha 3 years ago and found it really ordinary, especially for the Philippines...ok coral, couple sharks, some turtles, etc. Not a place I'd plan on going back to with so many better options in the country. Didn't help that my trip was with the Expedition Fleet who dominated the LOB market at the time, and was probably one of the worst operators I've ever gone with. Admittedly I just went one time, but based on my experience I'd give it a pass and go elsewhere.

Thanks for the info, if your still looking foward to see hammerheads and dont to pay for a liveabord go to the galapagos, hammerheads are guaranteed. Scuba Iguana is the best and most serious dive centre in there.

I went a couple years ago. Had a good time but nothing you wont see elsewhere really. Hoping for hammerheads but didn't see any. Did have a nice whaleshark experience so that was pretty nice. But overall, nothing you wont get elsewhere and I think your money/time can be better spent other parts of SE Asia. And know its very seasonal - can only get there some times of the year - and thus boats fill up fast. I also spend a week in Coron and loved it... went over to the other N. Side for a couple days to hunt for Dugong. Found a couple... was fun. If you want to splurge or have a lady-friend with you spend a couple nights on Paradise Island. The guy who runs the Dugong operation can probably get you a substantial discount. Also spent a week in PG. Loved it, but I am a macro-guy. Dove with Mark @ Sea Rider. Awesome guy. Phil has a lot to offer and pretty cheap diving.

Hi Jeremy, can you pm me contact information of the Dugong operation? Thanks.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom