Weight integrated BC + Weight Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig Smith

Registered
Reaction score
I have a weight integrated bc and im thinking of getting a weight harness to hold the rest of my weight (i dive dry). Any thoughts?

This is another one of those that will generate many opinions. When diving dry, I use my bc for trim weights only, and put most of the weight in a harness. I use the Seasoft Seawolf -- SEASOFT SEAWOLF? Weight Harness - Weights -- very well made and has quick releases if dropping weights becomes necessary.

Step number 1.....ensure that you have the weight you require, no more. Then see if you can distribute the weight to ensure proper trim. If not, consider all the options (steel tanks, cam band pockets etc). You may find the harness unnecessary, for some, it can add complexity, affect comfort and uneccassary cost.

My friend got hung up in his weight harness the other day trying to ditch his kit in the water. I had similar issues with a DUI harness and got rid of it, and now just use a weight belt.

Have you considered getting away from a positively buoyant BC and switching to a stainless plate that is negative? As suggested above if not already using a steel tank that is a good way to drop weight off.

I have recently bought a pony, so could use the BC for trim and use the harness for most of my weight. This would also mean that if in the very unlikely event of me removing my BC i have some weight to help keep me down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom