Orange County, CA - Spearfishing regulations - Need advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoRemote

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi!
I got my OW this Tuesday, and I bought some spearfishing gear today, planning to bring home dinner now and then.
But I am getting conflicting information from people regarding what I can and cannot do..?

My questions:
1. Where in Orange county can I hunt lobster, diving off a beach? I hear that everything south of Newport is closed, and some say it's only the main beach in Laguna and a reef north of Laguna Beach. Anyone know for sure?

2. What fish spieces are legal to take, AND TASTE good (I am 100% for eating what I catch. If I can't or wont eat it, I will not hunt it!).

I will never be a threat to any spieces, as I might catch a couple of meals a month at max, but I would like to have the opportunity to "grab" dinner, when it's right in front of me....

If there is a regulation map online, I would love to get the link to that, so I know for sure where to go.

I would be thankful for any info you have

better take a look at this. new regs went into effect Jan 1. This article describes it pretty well.

Fishing ban to go into effect in Laguna | marine, fishing, beach - News - The Orange County Register

Happy Diving

Wow. Thanks. Glad I asked here first! After reading the article, I found a map online showing the no take zone.

http://www.ocmarineprotection.org/docs/MPA_site_details_laguna_beach_smr.pdf

Guess Laguna area is a happy place for sea critters now.
Too bad, since I saw 2 big fat lobsters on my last certification dive this Tuesday:(
Was planning on eating one of them (or their bigger brother) this weekend, for our 1st year marriage anniversary..! Well, In-N-Out might have a special on cow this Sunday, so I'm fine.

I am glad the state is doing something to protect our waters for the next generation, and I do support their actions.

Maybe next year...:blinking:

Crystal Cove state park is a great spot for grabbing bugs the parking lot at the historic district is open until 10pm. But the entry can be a bit tricky there are lots of large rocks close to shore in the surf zone but once you get past those there are bugs everywhere. I would recommend going with someone that has some more experience especially if you plan to go at night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom