Oceanic VT4.1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spartenos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Good Afternoon All,

I figured I would turn to SB as I have gotten valuable information from here, time and time again.

I currently have an Aeris Atmos AI DC. I was made an offer to trade it in (By someone local) and get a Oceanic VT4.1 for a little under $500.

I am definitely not tied down to the Atmos AI, there are some things I don't like about it and to be honest, I have been thinking about getting a wrist mounted DC (hence the conversation about trading the Atmos for the VT4.1).

Everything I have read about the Oceanic VT4.1 has been good, I have not seen anything that would make me run away in terror.
That being said, what are your opinions (because let's face it, we all like different pieces of equipment for different reasons) on the VT4.1 AND if you think something else (same MSRP price point) is better, what is it and why do you like it better?

I use one for recreational diving. It is a decent computer. It has a very easy menu to navigate & a lot of features. The only feature I will say that I do not care for & do not use is the electronic compass. The compass automatically turns off after a given amount of time. This is any electronic compass I've seen on computers. By the time you get it back, you could be way off course. Never have had a transmitter problem with it, unlike the Suunto computers I've had. All in all a good computer.

I could imagine that electronic Vs. physical compass might be a standard argument with any DC. I would always think that keeping a physical one with you was a good idea regardless.

I might do tech at SOMEPOINT, but that point is at least a year off, I want to just enjoy diving right now.. Living in Michigan and having the Great Lakes on all sides and LOVING ships....Shipwreck diving will take up the immediate future....

I did decide I was not a fan of the navigation of the Atmos AI, had several issues with it and I definitely learned that (at least for Rec Diving) I would prefer to have a wrist mounted DC (Even if I have a SPG tucked away as a backup, wrist mounted as primary). With the deal that i was getting, I wanted to ask the masses in case I was missing another good DC that I should be considering.

The VT4.1 would probably be a good computer, if you are considering eventual tech. It has multiple gases & the changeable algorithms can be adjusted for tech or rec diving. You are lucky to live so close to some great, albeit, cold diving. It's 80% quarries for me. Personally, I leave the VT4.1 for recreational & use a Shearwater Predator & Petrel for OC Tech diving.

I have a question. If you have a VT4 and a Predator, why do you use the VT4 for rec. diving instead of the Predator?

I've never used a Predator, but so many people like them, I'm just curious as to why someone with one doesn't use it for all their diving.

Richard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A few reasons (some of them probably kind of silly). 1. as a recreational instructor with OW students, I will typically have both the predator & the VT4.1 as a back- up in Open water. 2. We teach computer use in classes, evne the pool session. The Predator would be a bit bulky for that. 3. trying to not overwhelm the students with so much "techy" stuff, trying to closer match what they have. When leading trips for the shop, I will wear my Predator as a primary, a Petrel as a back- up & the VT4.1 as a third back- up that I can loan to a customer, if theirs dies (I'm usually diving a bit more agressively so N2 levels should be more elevated, making the computer more conservative). Computers are tools, I try to use them as such. The Predators are generally easier to do gas switches with than the VT4.1 & the Shearwaters do Trimix, witch the VT4.1 does not do.

---------- Post added January 26th, 2013 at 10:33 AM ----------

To be honest Richard, I can't remember what I dove with when I taught your solo diver course. I think it was a Shearwater & the Oceanic, but then it may have been both Shearwaters. For anything I do OW, I usually dive with 1 of each, as they will suffice. For technical/ cave diving, it is usually exclusively the Shearwaters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom