Nitek Q vs Petrel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

upton75

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am in the market for a new computer and have been debating both of these computers. From what i have seen there does not seem to be many diving the Q. I am not on trimix at this time, but it is not ruled out for the future. I am just seeking advice and suggestions on what is the better computer.

Thanks

I haven't dove a Q but have dove with buddies who use one. I have a Petrel, and it looks preferable to me. I'm delighted with the Petrel -- very easy to use and the display is clear and easy to understand; I can just glance at it and immediately have all the info I need. I also don't dive trimix (yet) and have thus far the only gas switch I've done is to O2 for deco, and that was very easy and intuitive too. So the computer has many more capabilities than I'm using, but I consider having the clear, easy-to-read display well worth the money.

I dive a Q, and now that Dive Ritr has the software out for it, I think it is great. The display is very bright and very easy to read. Changing gas and using the menus is very easy to do. All in all I think it is a great computer that will allow someone to grow with it.

---------- Post added January 26th, 2013 at 02:19 PM ----------

In my opinion the Petrel is the winner hands down.

How so? Have you dove both?

If you really like sitting & doing decompression, the Q is the way to go. I dove a Shearwater while a buddy dove his Q's. I would have to do an additional 10- 15 min. (avg. 12 min difference) decompression waiting for his computers to clear.

Hmmm.... I don't think this response Is so valuable in deciding which computer to buy. If you alter the GF this impacts the relative safety factors that determine deco times. That said, I have a Petrel and a Preditor and love them both.

Jeff

If you really like sitting & doing decompression, the Q is the way to go. I dove a Shearwater while a buddy dove his Q's. I would have to do an additional 10- 15 min. (avg. 12 min difference) decompression waiting for his computers to clear.

I dive a Q, and now that Dive Ritr has the software out for it, I think it is great. The display is very bright and very easy to read. Changing gas and using the menus is very easy to do. All in all I think it is a great computer that will allow someone to grow with it.

---------- Post added January 26th, 2013 at 02:19 PM ----------

How so? Have you dove both?

I've dove both. I recently borrowed the Q when I left my computer home for a cave dive. Dive both, the decision will be easy. Well, truth be told, I haven't dove a Petrel, but I am very familiar with the Predator, which is very similar to the Predator. The Petral gets you out of the water much quicker and is a lot easier to use. To this day I've never read the manual on the Predator, but diving the Q for a day, I wished I had a manual.

I can't pick on Dive Rite too much. I like those people a whole lot, but the Shearwater folks really are top dog when it comes to computers.

I've dove both. I recently borrowed the Q when I left my computer home for a cave dive. Dive both, the decision will be easy. Well, truth be told, I haven't dove a Petrel, but I am very familiar with the Predator, which is very similar to the Predator. The Petral gets you out of the water much quicker and is a lot easier to use. To this day I've never read the manual on the Predator, but diving the Q for a day, I wished I had a manual.

I can't pick on Dive Rite too much. I like those people a whole lot, but the Shearwater folks really are top dog when it comes to computers.

That response is one I can understand. You have dove both. That is why I ask. I personally did not find the need for the manual with my Q. However, I have nothing to compare it to as I have not dove a Shearwater anything.

James like I said it is my opinion. I have the predator and a petrel both. I have never had a problem with either but I do have a nitek duo that you can use for a paper weight. The shearwaters are easy to use and I have never heard anything bad about their customer service. The petrel has the various battery options that I think is a big plus. I know a rather large dive rite dealer and he dives the petrel. I like the shearwater products and personaly would not buy a dive rite computer. I had rather deal with the manufactuer rather than someone who is having them built by a third party. If you are happy with the dive rite then that is great but I will stick to my shearwaters.

I think you took my questions the wrong way. I am honestly interested in why you think it is better. I don't always think because I own it that something must be the best. I asked if you have dove both so I can get a good side by side comparison.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom