Odd photo from KNX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
KNX Radio did a day of live broadcasting from Orange County yesterday, focusing on O.C. issues. Their website has a photo for the event that I find disturbing. Two of their reporters are smiling while holding a fishing rod with a dead Giant Sea Bass behind them.

oyc_1-25-13-004.jpg

Am I just too sensitive, or does this bother anyone else?

?KNX On Your Corner? Spotlights OC Beach Cities « CBS Los Angeles

You can leave comments on the bottom of their page.

WTF? Yeah, I find that disturbing Phil...

Yes. It's illegal. The two hosts may not know that, but whomever set up the shot or put the fish there/caught the fish (surely), should know that. I would jot them a note. They seem reasonable enough as a radio station - not overly political one way or another.

"KNX is broadcasting live from ExplorOcean, home of the Newport Harbor Nautical Museum."

If I had to guess, it is just an exhibit in the museum showing the size of the fish. But I have never been to this museum to be 100% sure of that. It would be a strange exhibit having the fish hanging by its tail instead of looking like it is swimming or something.

Good heavens you folks jump to conclusions. No fish were harmed for this production. The sea bass was caught decades ago - preserved and is now on display at the museum as a photo exhibit.

Now I'm not a big fan of taxidermy - but all the critical decisions were make a long time ago. The fishing rod and a blackboard where you can write your name is part of the exhibit. It apparently is what is left of the record black sea bass.

I realize that it is just an exhibit, but how is it any different than posing with a stuffed baby seal while holding a club? It just seemed to be in poor taste due to the protected status of the GSB.

Robert, come on you’re a diver (not so sure about “agl” since he only signed up to respond to this posting)…you know better than that…

The fact is most of the general public (non-divers…fishermen) are ignorant of fishing regulations and laws and when they see a media company (KNX) posting a photo with a Giant Black Sea Bass and someone holding a fishing pole they assume it’s OK. It’s hard enough to protect these guys (and other species that are taken either out of season or that are also protected).

So, No! it’s Not OK for a media company to take a photo like this…it shows they’re ignorant and insensitive to the plight of the GBSB.

Lets see, an exibit that lets people take a picture with a record fish and educates them on the plight of the giant sea bass so they can pass it on whenever the picture is shown. Yeah, we better stop that right now. And although it is said a "picture is worth a thousand words" there is no way of knowing what the exact words were. It might have been good to have listened to the radio show, before implying that the hosts were advocating the opening of a giant sea bass season, I have a hunch they wern't.

Now where do I pick up the club to take the next picture?

Bob
------------------------------------------------
"No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously" -Dave Barry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom