Blue Abyss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jean-Louis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi! Can someone tell me the distance between Pet Cemetary and the Blue Abyss?
Also, where can i buy a map of Nohoch Nah Chich(the vinyl one if possible?)
Thanks.

I would say some 1600 feet in. It's a fantastic dive. The map's acuracy has been under scrutiny as of late... Protec might have the map for sale. It's a big honking map!

Oops, sorry I misunderstood. Don't have a map, so not sure exact feet/meters, but our dive was 90 minutes. I think I was around 50'/minute in the caves, so let me do the math:
Based on computer download, :36 minutes to Blue Abyss, so 36 x 50 is 1800'. Obviously rough, but without a map it's the best I can do :)

We were on sidemount so we were able to go through the restriction on the bypass which I'm told is a faster way to go.

If you're on backmount, you probably can't get there on thirds. My husband and I did, but we're on the low end for gas consumption. If you take a stage, you have to try to get it through the King Pong restriction (if you're backmount). We usually drop the stage there, which isn't very far in and makes you wonder why you brought it . . . but it is nice to have that edge on gas. If your consumption is moderate to high, you will need a stage to get there.

My understanding is that the vinyl NoHoch map hasn't been available for some time. I have a paper one, because it was all I could find.

We made it on sidemount 80s, without stages, with a bit of time to descend into the abyss, on thirds. One of us was on backmount doubles.
Is the paper version of the map still available somewhere?
Thanks!

I did the dive yesterday on bm with no stages and got there with enough gas to enjoy several minutes admiring the abyss... but also my sac rate (and my buddy's) is pretty low. It is a good idea to take a stage though and drop it before the king pong restriction

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom