Kona Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Guccione

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm heading out ti the Big Island at the end of March. I dove here a number of years ago. What I'm looking for is information from our local community about recommendations on some shore diving and boat operators. I'm staying in Kona.
Thanks

I've been to Kona three times. The first trip I went with Kona Coast Divers and made boat dives each day. Because the Kona Coast drops off quickly, nearly all diving is done near shore. The next two times I went, I got smart and rented tanks and weights and dived from shore. My favorite sites are Alua Beach because of the turtles, eels and coral next to the shore, and the garden eels at 130 feet.
Hapuna Beach is the easiest diving on the Big Island. Wide, sandy beach with coral heads extending from shore. Restrooms, showers and a snack bar helps.

Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands

Did you ever think of asking in the Hawaii forum? We've been to the Big Island for diving a few times and shore diving is OK. One of my buddies goes over there a few times a year and does four shore dives a day. Most of the shore dives are in the Kona area. Personally, we preferred the variety you get from boat dives, but you pay $$. The nighttime manta dive was the highlight of our dives there, and that's definitely a boat dive

Mark, I have been to kona several times. Personally, I would recommend these dives (in order of coolness).

1) shore dive at place of refuge (aka two-step). Very easy entry and one of my favorite dives in all Hawaii.
2) black water dive. This is a different type of dive, but truly amazing. It is one to put on a bucket list.
3) shore dives off puako with Jackson Seay (divepuako.com). He is a great guide and puako is an awesome site. Try to get out early before the afternoon swells hit.
4) manta night dive. I have done this a few times and been happy every time.

All four dives are completely different, but each beautiful in there own way. You will have seen the best (IMO) of the big island.

Have fun!

---------- Post added January 29th, 2013 at 10:23 PM ----------

BTW- I dove with Kona Honu and Big Island Divers, both are top notch operations.

J:
3) shore dives off puako with Jackson Seay (divepuako.com). He is a great guide and puako is an awesome site. Try to get out early before the afternoon swells hit.

We did boat dives and some of the sites were great, but we enjoyed our diving at Puako with Jackson so much that we opted to shore dive more and boat dive less. The area up by puako is just an endless series of coves - find a beach access, tie a t-shirt in the tree, get in, dive while counting the number of inlets you pass, and then turn and come home. Jackson adds an element of knowing the terrain, currents and waves (which should not be underestimated as the shore is pure lava and will beat you up if the surface conditions are bad) the best entries, where the cool critters live, and which lava tubes and caves are safe to enter. Night diving is awesome there too!

Our boat dive op is gone now, but I would use Kona Honu next time - I met them at the scuba show in LB and they seemed to be an awesome outfit, and their boats looked great on the water while we were there.

Have Fun!!

The nighttime manta dive was the highlight of our dives there, and that's definitely a boat dive

The night manta dive can easily be done from shore off the Sheraton Keauhou Bay in Kailua-Kona for FREE! You'd have to be a huge pussy if you can't handle it. Save yourself a pile of money and do it that way. When I did it there were several other people who made the short swim out from shore, including what looked like a middle-aged housewife and some old guy who had to be in his 80's. Do it as a snorkel dive one night, and go back for scuba on another night if you think you missed something. See shorediving.com for a write-up.

Another idea, depending on the number of people in your party, is to rent a boat at Kona Boat Rentals. They give you a book with dive suggestions and gps way points for the moorings. The moorings are all free for use: first come - first served. I agree that most dives can be done from shore. The "Long Lava Tube" was my favorite dive by far, and may not have been accessible without the boat. Kona is a world class fishing spot so you can troll for fish on your way to the dive spots.

My buddy and I were there last summer, did a mix of beach and boat dives. I heartily second the recommendations for Puako - we didn't do a guided dive, but followed the directions on shorediving.com for Puako Village End and had no trouble. Two-step / Honaunau is also a great shore dive - suggest bringing two tanks since it's a ways down from Kailua-Kona proper (ditto for Puako, in the other direction, for that matter). If you're up for an adventure (and aren't afraid of a little 4WD action) there's a nice black sand beach called Makole'a a little ways north of the airport that has some nice diving.

I also second the recommendation for asking in the Hawaii forum - they were quite helpful for me when planning the trip.

FWIW, we dove with Big Island Divers and had a great experience. Seemed to be a smaller operation than Jacks or Kona Honu which suited us well.

Greetings Mark,
I spent 10 days in Kona in 2011. I highly recommend "Wanna Dive" wannadivekona.com
Steve's boat is clean and in top condition. He is VERY knowledgeable about the history and sea life.
I spent a day with another dive operation that wasn't to my likening. But rather than trash them I preffer to just not mention who they are.
The Manta Dive is a must. We had several matas on the night I went. Just too Bitchen for words.
Bring Lights for your day time dives. Kona didn't seem to have much color without them. Rather gray and bland. Maybe shore diving is better, but I was solo so boat diving fit me better at the time. Also the Kona Brewing Company restaurant was a great choice for dinner. good food @ a great price. The susi restauant in town was over priced and very small servings.
Had a great time. I WILL WARN YOU ABOUT THE SPEED TRAPS!!! THE ENTIRE ISLAND IS A SPEED TRAP. The police are in unmarked cars. I don't drive fast but they gave a ticket for 6 miles an hour over the limit.
Hope this helps
Good Divin
SoCalRich

Thanks for the info, now I have a place to start.

Here's our video from Kona in November:
Kona, HI Scuba Diving - Sharon and Graham Futerfas - YouTube

We did all shore diving, which was easy. Rented an SUV and got tanks from Kona Diving Company, and I recommend stopping by the local hardware store and getting a tarp to protect the carpets from your wet gear. Also did the Manta Night Dive with KDC and it was definitely worth it.

Honaunau Place of Refuge was a great shore dive (with the 'Aloha' written in cinder blocks, also known as 'two step' because of the entry). Go early to get good parking and beat the crowds of snorkelers.

The better diving was in Puako, though. The shops will give you directions and overviews of the sites.

Definitely eat at 'Da Poke Shack' in Kona, it's rad and cheap.

On the way back from Honaunau Place of Refuge, stop at the Coffee Plantation for a free tour. The Discovery Antiques ice cream was also a good stop on that drive.

The Ocean Rider Seahorse Farm (Seahorse.com - Seahorse, Sea Life, Marine Life, Aquafarm Sales, Feeds and Accessories - Home) has a tour that's really pricey ($40 for 1.5 hours) but fascinating and a good cause.

We loved Kona!!!
-Graham

Back
Top Bottom