Diving with pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Antagonist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am curious about people that are diving with pockets. I see a lot to tech divers that do not dive with pockets and some that do. I know the main purpose, but I am curous as to why many diver choose not to use pockets. (besides the fact that they don't need them and stream lining) Is it good practice to have pockets for "just in case"

I don't wear pockets for the "just in case" There are certain items I bring on every dive and some items that are dive specific. The items I bring on every dive all have an assigned location in my pockets. I always have them and always know where they are. I wear my pockets to carry my required equipment.

and they look cool :)

I like pockets because you can put the things you need in them, and they are less likely to be lost, and cannot get wound up in kelp or line or anything else you encounter. I've seen spools detach from backplates, and I've seen SMBs caught up in kelp. Pockets are just more secure.

I think the best reason is for a backup mask. without the pocket there is really nowhere to keep it on your person, clean.

Keeps things neat and organized and less chance of losing gear. I used them once and never dove again without them (in backmount).

Do you have your pockets attached to the suit, attached to your webbing, or wear a pair of dive shorts. I've recently moved to a backplate and wing and the only thing I miss about my old BC is the pockets. I've been thinking about buying a pair of dive shorts with pockets like these:Highland Neoprene Pocket Shorts - Dive Gear Express

Can anybody give any me feed back on these type of shorts? I'm thinking I could wear them over my wetsuit in cold water and use them with a rash gaurd on top in warm water.

I have worn pockets on every dive since my spool came undone while attached to my but d-ring.

on my drysuit, the pockets are permanently attached, for wetsuit diving, I use x-shorts

I have two halcyon pockets for sale if you're interested

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom