Moving to San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

splitkey01

Contributor
Reaction score
Just received orders to San Diego and looking for some help from locals, being a diver I wanted some input from the dive community! I am military coast guard and will based on MCRD, with that said looking a good direction for a place to live with access to good diving without some horrible commute and of course reasonable drive to and from work. I didn't realize how much area San Diego takes up and never being there before I am definitely lost, so any help you all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the good information, nobody on here happens to be a realtor for house rentals?

Joe

You might look in the Kearney Mesa/Claremont Mesa area. It's east of LaJolla and a short drive (10? miles) down 163 to MCRD (it's by the airport right?) Downtown, LaJolla, Point Loma, Coronado Island Mission/Pacific beaches all are pretty pricey. People live in Poway and Escondido - even El Cajon - and commute in but IMO that would get old fast. Too far south there's border issues. Around Mission Bay there's a lot of tourist traffic.

My wife and I relocated to San Diego explicitly for the southern California dive opportunities about two years ago. If you're looking to be near to diving (boats anyway) anyplace in Point Loma or Bay Park area will put you <2-3 miles from where the boats launch. If you're a shore diver then you'll want to look at La Jolla. There's a lot of opportunity to dive in Southern Cal - not just in San Diego county. If you're looking at the Channel Islands as your playground then North County is probably better access to the boats that leave from San Pedro/Long Beach.

Honestly, you don't want to live east of the I-5 in California and probably not south of downtown San Diego. The compromises are just too great.

Back
Top Bottom