Best Snorkeling in Southern Asia Pacific...reachable from Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

navi_jen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi....

Hoping you all can help. I am newbie diver who is potentially traveling to Thailand at the end of this month for a month of volunteering and relaxation. If the plan holds, I will be volunteering in the Surin Province (taking care of elephants!) for a week, maybe spend a few days or a week in Bangkok, but then want at least 2 weeks of relaxing vacation somewhere near a beach.

I have had a very mild case of the bends (1x) and out of shape, so I don't think I want my 're-entry' dives to be somewhere so remote. So, I am looking for: incredible snorkeling, clean beaches, inexpensive hotels/pensions, and no big tourism development. But at least a few restaurants/bars so that I don't go completely nutty being by myself for 3 weeks. Want to avoid chain hotels (I travel for a living) or $200_$500 per night honeymoon palaces...but I think I'm too old to camp for 2 weeks straight!

In terms of reference (for my definition of excellent) I have snorkeled/dove on Grand Cayman and Belize, and over the last 5 years, I have grown less enamored of Grand Cayman due to its dwindling fish population. And to give you a sense of what I like, SMB on GC is waay too busy for my taste (heck, even Rum Point/Cayman Kai is too busy for me!). I loved Placenia, Belize (where I learned to dive), but really don't want to return there on a once-in-a-lifetime trip (that's an easy weeklong trip for me).

If I stay in Thailand, was thinking about Koh Tao, Koh Mak or Koh Kood. But given that Thailand isn't known for their snorkeling, do you recommend I fly somewhere else for the remainder of my trip? (I'm willing to do it, if it's not prohibitively expensive). Had been thinking of Fiji..but I think that is too long of a connection.

Maldives might be an option...but it would either be a riduclously expensive ticket (Boston>Bankok>Maldives>Boston) or reasonably priced, but one heck of a long return flight (Boston>Bangkok>Maldives>Bangkok>Boston). Plus I was wondering if I shouldn't save Maldives for when I can feel safe diving again (hopefully a year or so)??

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated...From my reading, I also understand the coral health/ecosystem has changed dramatically over the last ten years, so recent experience would be a huge plus!

Thanks so much!

Jen

You will love Thailand ,we spent a day at the elephant rescue center in Chiang Mai.Thailand was an amazing country,food,people,culture,just loved it. We did fly to the Southern region also and stayed in Kho Lak. We took a boat out to the Surin Islands to snorkel.One cove was filled with the most stunning variety of corals I've ever seen. The rest of the snorkeling was disappointing.The Tsunami pretty much ripped the ocean floor up and left what looked like piles of bones.Its been almost 4 years since we went so maybe some of the marine life has come back to that area. What we saw in the one cove in Surin leads me to believe that there are wonderful areas to snorkel. Wish I could offer more help. I did love the country and would love to return.

Back
Top Bottom