BCD Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello Scubaboard! This is my first post on the forum. Currently, I am on my last week of the open water diver certification. Since this means that I will be diving many times, a set of gear to call my own is necessary. As of now, I own my dive computer, fins, boots, mask, snorkle, etc. The item that I am looking for next is a BCD. Here is a list of the characteristics that I would love for it to have, and any recommendation is appreciated.
BCD Characteristics I Want:
Back Inflate
Weight Integrated
Two Tank Straps
Chest Strap
Semi-light (for both travel and local diving)
Metal D-Rings

If Possible, I would like to have color options, but I would much rather have a plain colored, nice BCD rather than a colorful, bad BCD.

Thank you for all of your time.

-Penguin1026

I like DiveRite Transpak because you build it the way you want it. All parts are replaceable.
Hello Scubaboard! This is my first post on the forum. Currently, I am on my last week of the open water diver certification. Since this means that I will be diving many times, a set of gear to call my own is necessary. As of now, I own my dive computer, fins, boots, mask, snorkle, etc. The item that I am looking for next is a BCD. Here is a list of the characteristics that I would love for it to have, and any recommendation is appreciated.
BCD Characteristics I Want:
Back Inflate
Weight Integrated
Two Tank Straps
Chest Strap
Semi-light (for both travel and local diving)
Metal D-Rings

If Possible, I would like to have color options, but I would much rather have a plain colored, nice BCD rather than a colorful, bad BCD.

Thank you for all of your time.

-Penguin1026

Are you SURE that you want weight integration?

Personally, I no longer use a weight integrated BC. For cold water diving, it's a detriment, causing the scuba unit to weight way too much and making underwater ditch and don dangerous. For tropical diving, it's OK, but wearing a few pounds on a weight belt is not a problem at all. Plus, divers are constantly finding someone else's lost integrated weight pouches. (I found one on my OW4 dive.)

As has been said many times, the best way to save money on scuba gear is to buy your second set of gear first. Give it a lot of thought and talk to a lot of other, experienced divers and ask what they use and why.

I do not see a big gain or even a need in the chest strap. For me it makes the chest area more messy, especially for a dry suit which has a valve on the chest. If you don't insist on the chest strap, have a look at the Zeagle Express Tech.(The Deluxe version even has a chest strap)

image.jpg

Here is a good review by NetDoc. Or, If you like back inflated BC's, perhaps you should consider going straight to a backplate and wing system? It could save you the cost of a jacket BC that might become obsolete down the road. It is also much easier to clean, dry and pack. There you have a great flexibility and can also extend or modify your rig according your prefferences or type of diving. Among many good BP&W brands my choice was Deep Sea Supply because of the good quality, thoughtful design, efficient customer support and all this for a reasonable price. So far I am very happy with it.

Try everything before buying, if you can! Only you can find out what are you comfortable with. Good luck, enjoy diving!:)

Last edited:
I have a Zeagle Ranger. Fits all your requirements except its not that light .It weights in at 8.4 lbs dry weight . I still travel with it . Happy hunting :)

I would take the bullet and recommend a back plate and wing. No matter what BCD you buy eventually you will grow out of it and if you learn to dive a BP wing you will be saying to yourself "How come no one ever showed me this before." BP Wings are very popular on this discussin board and these posts do not go much further without someone recommending them. I am sure the Tech diving community will jump in soon to highlight what I said. Here is my recommendation for tropical waters

Oxycheq or DSS 18 lbs travel wing.
Aluminium Back plate
Basic threading with standard D rings.

With this configuration, I would recommend carrying weight on the belt.

For cold waters I would use a 40 lbs wing and steel BP.

Any other recommendations? Also, what is a backplate/wing? Does anyone have an opinion on the zeagle stilleto or anything like that?
Thanks for the info!

Penguin, what kind of diving do you see yourself doing? Warm water, cold water, both? Lots of travel, or mostly at home? Wet or dry? All these things can play a role in what people might recommend. If you tell us what you are going to do, you will get recommendations from people who have experience with those kinds of diving. I will tell you from expensive personal experience, that what you think you want when you are finishing your OW class, and what you will be happy with in a year or two, may be quite different. I wish I had known about SB when I bought all my original gear -- it would have prevented me replacing all of it within a year :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom