Rigid Hull Inflatable at Ship Rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catalina_mike

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hope someone can help me out! I saw a rigid hull inflatable with a open-able bow on Saturday at Ship Rock off Two Harbors Catalina. I was on the King and a breather diver swam up to the boat and sat on our swim-step. The King crew hailed the inflatable and they came over to scoop up the re-breather diver and lowered the bow! Very cool stuff... As I drove home to Visalia this morning I saw what looked like the boat on a trailer but could not get information about it. Any help would be great!

Thanks....

Like this?

Asso Prestige, made in Italy.

Asso srl

20276_Rescue_630__1.10_per_sito.jpg

75551_Rescue_630_DSC00288.jpg

DC

I saw The Marines diving from some RIBs as you describe, on the Yukon in San Diego.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on the King and a breather diver swam up to the boat and sat on our swim-step.

I have a different perspective on this. While you guys are marveling at the attributes of the RIB, I'm wondering why a guy thinks his skills are good enough to dive a rebreather when he can't navigate well enough find his way back to his own boat.

:dork2:

- Ken

I know who it is... :D

Great boat... Sent you PM

I have a different perspective on this. While you guys are marveling at the attributes of the RIB, I'm wondering why a guy thinks his skills are good enough to dive a rebreather when he can't navigate well enough find his way back to his own boat.

- Ken

I have exceptional boat handling skills. I can't fly a plane for crap. Actually, I fly just fine, but I'm scared to death to land. What does the lack of one skill have anything to do with another? Underwater navigation is a separate skill from other diving skills, and like other skills, takes time and a willingness to develop the skill to become proficient. Just because a man is an accomplished rebreather pilot (or not) does not mean that he is an accomplished underwater navigator, or hunter, or instructor, etc.

- Ken

Well I asked him what was up (I dive the same re-breather) and he ran out of diluent, at least the issue he told me about.. His BC inflater was leaking and was the source of his issue. On the Evolution+ the 2ltr bottles go fast. He was on OC bailout (using a slung bailout) and making progress to the King Neptune. He went to the closest floating thing he could find and we were barely anchored. I could not speak to his skill but he needed help so we helped. Because he was recovered and safe allowed us to marvel at the inflatable.... after we hailed them. (they were on the other side of Ship Rock). Pretty common plan to dive around the rock...

Neat idea. Boat looks expensive though! Probably in the $80,000 range?

I'll stick to a 14' hypalon Mercury RIB for a wholesome $3500, thank you much.

Back
Top Bottom