CoCo View Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tool Belt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know it kinda defeats the title, and I hope you don't feel the need to kill me after answering, but does anyone have any experience with or information about "The Secret Room" :crafty: at CCV?

Ahh, you are referring to TSR. No, it's a secret.

Hotels have always had a policy of reserving space for unplanned arrivals. At CCV, this need was heightened by the plain facts of Bay Islands travel from as recent as a decade or so ago. TSR was always held in reserve for friends of owners Bill and Ev Evans who showed up via sailboat or private aircraft.

In the early 1980's they had absolutely no idea of how many guests would be showing up. Roatan Charter in Florida would mail an envelope to a southbound guest and they would hand it to Miss Ev. She would count heads and assign rooms accordingly. The Internet has changed all that.

Bill had owned any number of airlines and was very well known in the business. In the daysof just one air carrier serving Roatan (SAHSA and the TACA), Bill hosted many executives from Delta and United trying to convince them with hospitality and Salva Vida beer that they needed to service Roatan.

So, like any hotel, when they are "overbooked", and CCV is always full, last minute arrivals got TSR which was always held in reserve. Sometimes, local island friends (who you may recognize by the names of certain dive sites), decided to sleep over after a long session at the bar.

For years, TSR was just that. Then, as communications improved and they knew who was showing up, the room slowly got rented out as a last chance room to get a week stay at CCV. It does have the distinction of having the only bathtub (no drain plug), a bathroom that looks like a bowling alley lane, 1 frosted glass window, a king bed (now many rooms have them), and the biggest thing- it was the closest ground floor room to the dive op and club house. (Now there is a closer room since the manager's apartment was converted for guest use)

in recent years, it has been very useful for those among us who have trouble walking. It is nowhere near as romantically positioned over the water as the cabanas or bungalows, but it does have a nice screened porch facing w the ocean. Downside to that is that everybody walks right by. That's also an upside, as you get to say hi to everybody as they walk by. It is located in the closest of two "ocean view/on shore" rooms to the clubhouse. It is located underneath room #15.

All CCV rooms have air conditioning, but you could "hang meat" in TSR, as well as the other room that is really more handicapped accessible, room #17.

First time visitors to CCV usually exhibit considerable angst over which room is best. Each of the three types has its highlights, but if walking is a problem, TSR is a great choice. The best thing I can tell anyone is to go with your choice, but have a good look around at the other types... You'll be back and next time you might try something different.

Now that you know the secret of The Secret Room, we're gonna have to kill you.

Have another serving of Tres Leche Cake, that ought to do it.

Thanks RoatanMan!

Was lucky enough to grab bungalow A on our first visit, couldn't really picture TSR.

If not Death By Tres Leche, then Death By Salva Vida.

Was lucky enough to grab bungalow A on our first visit, couldn't really picture TSR.

Each room type, even each location within that type- they all have plusses and minuses. The nice thing about Bungalow A is that it is so close to the bar. The bad thing? Numerous people have still walked right off the walkway into the Caribbean.

Bunglaow A, the first on the left:

IMG_3148.jpg

IMG_4123.jpg

TSR is hiding (of course) behind the mangrove bush:

IMG_3454.jpg

And the Cabanas:

IMG_3150.jpg

Take the photo tour: http://s221.beta.photobucket.com/user/Doc_Adelman/library/CoCoView Explained in Pictures

Not to hijack the thread but ....

Does CCV still have an arrangement and use the houses as overflow? Seems like there've been a few changes at CCV lately (anyone with a full list of changes to physical plant / personnel / food / dive op / etc in the last 18 months or so???) and I don't see mention of the houses anymore (or the webcam for that matter!!). Where do the managers hang out now that their office has been turned into guest space?

C.

Yeah I dunno....web cam and Blog gone too? RoatanMan?

No, I'm still in existence.

Remember, that's just my screen name. Before we return to CCV, I'm doing a presentation at Our World Underwater ("Surviving your trip to paradise"), then off to the Red Sea, then.... An annual two week stay in Roatan.

The thing about where the managers live? I had been wondering myself. Suffice to say, there's a senior management type there 24/7, but I'll put that on my list of things to do.... Tail them after dinner!

The Playa Miguel beach houses are still an option for those who want to dive or even eat at CCV. Family groups or multiple couples find them perfect.

Altho I have watched the webcams for many hours, all I know about them is that no matter how new the gear is, it seems to puke on a very regular basis. It seems like a great marketing tool, but with their % of occupancy, maybe it's not worth the headache when maintenance effort is better pointed elsewhere.

I really miss the webcams, especially the one that showed "the Front Yard" shore dive and the waves on the barrier reef.

Note to everyone: CCV will have a booth at Our World Underwater and all dive shows. Lets all start nagging them about the webcams! It was a great "weather window" to look out and see the reality of the day's actual weather!

The message board called "CocoChat" is still up and functional, but for most uses in these high speed times, people prefer Facebook or something with "push" notifications. The Coco View Resort Facebook page is pretty active.

Last edited:
Ok, who has assasin duty this week?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom