Reef House Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BuckNut

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Any opinions on this resort or the dive sites they frequent? We are thinking of spending the week of Thanksgiving there. The south side of the island seems to be more reliable for diving at that time of the year.

I did a week at RHR last May. It's a little rustic, "resort" isn't the right word for it .... however, the rooms were clean, the food was (mostly) good, and the diving was always spectacular. RHR boats go to sites that are farther east than most other ops go to. We met a CoCo View boat at a site called "mary's place", that seems to be the cut off line for east / west diving on the south side. Because fewer boats run to where RHR goes the reef isn't as beat up and there seemed to be more critters. Did a night dive and a boat dive on the house reef, never did it as a shore dive but people who did (especially at night) came back with stories and photos of eels and octopus. If you go in with the right attitude, not expecting the Hilton (or even CoCo View), you'll be fine. RHR is a great value for the diving dollar, the dive staff (Davit - DM, Choko - captain) are wonderful and take very good care of their customers. Its very laid back, no high speed internet (satellite .... restricted bandwidth and availability), and more like being at a summer camp for divers than a "resort". PM me if you have any more questions.

C.

Last edited:
Just went to RHR last month. Great place! Been to Roatan before, stayed on the west end. As a diver, I totally loved the east end much better. Amazing walls and healthier reef system there. All the sites RHR take you to are just wonderful. I even liked the whole set up better at RHR for diving. Surface intervals are spent boating around the shoreline of cooling off swimming around little secluded islands. Very comfortable long dives. Averaging close to an hour every dive. The resort is the perfect diver friendly place. Has a lounge area for reading with a complete library of fish ID and coral books. Meals are hearty and tasty. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Dm's are helpful and funny. On our night dive, we saw a crab that was about 3 ft across! Saw jelly fish, nurser sharks and lots of moray eels.

If you have any questions please feel free to drop me a line. This is a link Amazing Dive sites on East end! - Review of Reef House Resort, Roatan, Honduras - TripAdvisor to my review for RHR. You won't go wrong with a trip there.

Wife & I are planning our first trip to Roatan, in late July early August, have read everything that I can find the more I read the more I am convinced that RHR is where we want to go.
Both of us are early fifties Dive Master & Rescue. We enjoy laid back not hurried diving between the two us have logged 1000 plus. But never been to Roatan
It just seems like the best for the money & the least crowded.
Comments please.

My wife and I love the Reef House. Are looking into our 3rd trip out there. Just a great place to Eat, Sleep, Dive, Repeat! Check out some of my photos here on SB some are tagged as Roatan and they are from dives at RHR. Lots of Seahorses and small critters.

Another vote from me for the RHR! Would go back there in a heartbeat. I have been to CoCoView and liked it as well but hands down the diving and food were better at RHR. Much better price as well. I honestly don't think you can beat RHR for the best scuba diving value on the island. If some of the diehard CCV folks were to give the place a try, they would find themselves a new home on Roatan.

Thanks for the all of the feedback. We are booked for the week of Thanksgiving and can't wait!

We're here right now, and after 3 days we couldn't be happier. Very personable management and staff, great dive operation, and very laid back in the right way. The food has been very good and the kitchen staff has gone out of their way to accommodate my vegetarian wife. The wifi must've been upgraded because it's as fast as any hotel in the states. We've still got a lot of vacation left but at this point it's been great.

Reactions: Doc
We're here right now, and after 3 days we couldn't be happier. Very personable management and staff, great dive operation, and very laid back in the right way. The food has been very good and the kitchen staff has gone out of their way to accommodate my vegetarian wife. The wifi must've been upgraded because it's as fast as any hotel in the states. We've still got a lot of vacation left but at this point it's been great.

How many other people are there? I'm headed there in a month and can't wait. Did CCV last year and it was great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom