I want to create a Franken-camera rig...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T.C.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been using a Sealife DC1200 for a year and a half now, but last year the strobe started acting up. I've sent it in to the manufacturer, but started looking at an Ikelite DS51. I like the higher power, shorter recycle time...heck, just about everything about it.

But what I'd like to know from the bright people here is other than the DS51 (which I understand is sold as just the strobe, nothing else) what other accessories will I need to integrate my Sealife camera with the Ikelite strobe?

I would prefer to use the fiber-optic cable that the Sealife uses, but it looks like Ikelite uses a different system. Thanks for any and all help!

I've been using a Sealife DC1200 for a year and a half now, but last year the strobe started acting up. I've sent it in to the manufacturer, but started looking at an Ikelite DS51. I like the higher power, shorter recycle time...heck, just about everything about it.

But what I'd like to know from the bright people here is other than the DS51 (which I understand is sold as just the strobe, nothing else) what other accessories will I need to integrate my Sealife camera with the Ikelite strobe?

I would prefer to use the fiber-optic cable that the Sealife uses, but it looks like Ikelite uses a different system. Thanks for any and all help!

T.C.

If you get our fiber optic sensor #4401, you can use a fiber optic cable to trigger the DS51. We show a list of compatible cords on our website: 4401 Fiber Optic Adapter for DS Substrobes

We don’t have a Sealife optical cable to test, but if it doesn’t fit into our sensor, you can cut the non-camera end of the cable and try one of these:

Inon Double Hole Fiber Optic Plug (Rubber Bush Plug) [ino.456212143565] - $2.95 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Fiber Optic Cable Adapter Set for Compact Digicams [rpv.foa] - $24.95 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

They look like they will fit our sensor, but then again we have not tested them. You could ask Ryan at Reef Photo if the Sealife cord will fit our sensor, or purchase one and send it to us to check.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

T.C.

If you get our fiber optic sensor #4401, you can use a fiber optic cable to trigger the DS51. We show a list of compatible cords on our website: 4401 Fiber Optic Adapter for DS Substrobes

We don’t have a Sealife optical cable to test, but if it doesn’t fit into our sensor, you can cut the non-camera end of the cable and try one of these:

Inon Double Hole Fiber Optic Plug (Rubber Bush Plug) [ino.456212143565] - $2.95 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Fiber Optic Cable Adapter Set for Compact Digicams [rpv.foa] - $24.95 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

They look like they will fit our sensor, but then again we have not tested them. You could ask Ryan at Reef Photo if the Sealife cord will fit our sensor, or purchase one and send it to us to check.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Brett,

Thanks for your help. Do most Ikelite dealers carry this sensor? The Sealife cord is just a simple fiber-optic cable; there isn't a special end (in fact, I've fixed this cord underwater once by cutting off the damaged tip and reinserting it into the flash.

What other items will I need? I'm looking at the flex arm, does that come with a mounting tray? As well, the fixed part of that looks a little long, can it be cut down or minimized?

Again, thanks for your help. I'm heading over to my LDS to talk to them about it now!

Brett,

Thanks for your help. Do most Ikelite dealers carry this sensor? The Sealife cord is just a simple fiber-optic cable; there isn't a special end (in fact, I've fixed this cord underwater once by cutting off the damaged tip and reinserting it into the flash.

What other items will I need? I'm looking at the flex arm, does that come with a mounting tray? As well, the fixed part of that looks a little long, can it be cut down or minimized?

Again, thanks for your help. I'm heading over to my LDS to talk to them about it now!

T.C.,

Most dealers do not carry the sensor, however we have them in stock, so we can ship to the dealer immediately.

We sell tray and handle 9523.61 for aftermarket underwater housings, but I cannot guarantee it will work with the Sealife camera: Underwater Digital Housing Accessories

If the camera does attach to the Ikelite tray ok, you would need Flex Arm 4087.1 to attach the DS51 to the tray/handle:
Underwater Digital Housing Accessories

The DS51 strobe is 4044.1. Ikelite Substrobe DS51

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Thanks, Brett. I've just made my orders.

Back
Top Bottom